Carolina Coops American knockoff :-)

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I have absolutely loved the Carolina Coops since I found out about them a few years ago. I wish I had known about them when I got into chickens so I could build this in place. The dimensions are 8x4 and it sits just 6'3 before the rafters. It is 9 feet from ground to top of gable. I have been just throwing this together one piece at a time without any plans in place. You can see the coop in the backround that it is replacing. The cost of wood sucks and I am learning a lot as I go. I would have liked to make it a little wider, like 8x5 or 8x6 but with the cost of wood, I just built around the 8x4 sheets of ply and such. I have 13 birds now, typically no more than 10-12 but plan on 16 feet of roost bars inside. I am going to use a crafting plastic for the windows and red home depot metal roof panels. I still have to make one more truss then the roof can go on, then floor joists and I am thinking just 1/2" or 3/4" CDX for the floor. A couple coats of paint and some linoleum should make it impervious to the droppings and such. Painting has taken the longest. Im digging all the headroom for the birds. I plan on leaving the top bit open on the gables for ventilation, but covering 95% of it with ply. I'll update as it goes from here.
IMG_3975.jpg
IMG_3976.jpg
IMG_3979.jpg

Quick update picture. Got the gables closed up, roof supports on and half the floor joists in. Ran out of wood with the floor joists just in time for the cost to shoot up from $7 per 2x4 to $11 per stick! Then it started raining and hasnt stopped for the last three days. :-D

Attachments

• IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 41
Looks awesome! Great job.

I've been watching a bunch of videos of Carolina coop assembly. One thing I'm unclear on... is it just a single wall? So framing with a sheet of plywood on the back (inside of coop)? My current coop has framing sandwiched between two sheets of plywood so both sides are smooth/no framing visible (which is probably overkill and I think dirt can get trapped in the airspace between the walls).

I've been watching a bunch of videos of Carolina coop assembly. One thing I'm unclear on... is it just a single wall? So framing with a sheet of plywood on the back (inside of coop)? My current coop has framing sandwiched between two sheets of plywood so both sides are smooth/no framing visible (which is probably overkill and I think dirt can get trapped in the airspace between the walls).
Overkill. Almost all coops are designed with exposed framing - "skin" on the outside only.

Unlike humans, chickens are FAR more cold tolerant than we are - its the down coats - and there is no need to try and trap conditioned air inside a coop, the way we do with human structures in which we intend to live.

Further, that dead air space created by skinning the inner and outer walls both routinely becomes a very popular place for mites, mice, roaches, and all sorts of other undesirables to hide in a chicken coop. Finally, it removes a (small) amount of space - and space is a coop commodity that almost no one seems to have enough of.

Yup, just the single wall. You could put the ply in the outside. It’s mainly just for looks. Lots of ventilation in this coop while shielding water and large drafts out. I made the roof pitch a 6/12 to create more headspace for just that. Better air movement for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom