caroline is ill

Yes she is doing good. I just looked out the window and she is raiding the wild bird seed feeder! Nothing wrong with her appitite anyhow! She never stops eating!

Oes

I just had to bring Caroline back in today. She has been doing so well but today when we were cleaning the roost the girls were pottering about the yard. We noticed when a gust of wind blew that caroline could barely hold herself up. Her feathers were all puffed up and she did not look like she was coping too well. Though in saying that when food was offered she did run to get it . Yesterday she would have grabbed at it and gobbled it up and went for more but today she seemed to just grab at scraps and often threw them down again.
So I scooped her up and brought her in again. She is now back on antibiotics. She was drinking well and seemed to be eating the layers pellets when she was back in the warm kitchen. She didn;t have to fight for her food. She is looking really old poor girl - I realise she is at least 6 yrs old now. So maybe she is naturally at the end of her life. None of the other girls I have had have lived longer than 7 yrs.
When she had been in the cat cage a while she again had a bad dose of diarrhea - this time far more runny than before like water. So I lifted her back out and washed the whole box again! She seemed pleased and went right back in. She is a darling and very quiet like she knows I am doing my best for her. I am not sure what else to do but keep her warm and comfy. She is not alone as the dogs and cat keep checking on her. lol
I think she enjoys being pampered but she is not doing too good there is something really wrong. I am hoping that she pulls through but I think if I left her in the yard she would not have survived and I do think another cold snap would have finished her. Sometimes it is difficult to know what to do for the best. She sure looked in pain when she had diarrhea. I wish I could do something to stop it as it is probably what is draining her most. She has ACV in the water and Tylon - I did give her eggs before and yogurt to biuld her up and that seemed to help a bit. Poor old critter.

Oes

Poor old lady!! You are doing everything you can I think. Are you giving her any probiotic yoghurt? It might help with the diarrhoea. Since she is 6, you are probably right in that she's coming to the end, so lots of tlc and spoiling. Who knows?? She may surprise you and live another few years.
I got my fingers crossed for you both, Sue

Caroline is still in the house. Last night she was really bad with diarrhea running from her like water. She drank two whole jam jars full of water from last night to this morning. I think she was just dehydrated. She had a poo this morning which looked semi normal so maybe she is getting better. Though I don't think she is eating as well as I would like her to. She seems to play with the food a bit. Then toss it about the crate. Last night I went out to the yard and Agnes was still out in the pitch dark at the back door waiting for her. Then I found Florence in the big pen waiting for Agnes they are sisters so Florry wouldn't leave Aggy and Aggy being friends with Caroline would not go to bed without her. Now this morning Aggy wouldn't come out of the coop she already got a chill the other week when Caroline first got sick. Honestly they are like kids!

Oes

Last edited:
Good luck with 'the kids'
smile.png
Sue

Bit of sad news - You know we had our wee caroline in the dinning room as she was ill.
Well I went to feed her this morning and she had died in the night. I am a bit upset right now as she was one of my orriginal 6 birds.
- She would have been 6 yrs old this year.
hit.gif

Oes

Bit of sad news - You know we had our wee caroline in the dinning room as she was ill.
Well I went to feed her this morning and she had died in the night. I am a bit upset right now as she was one of my orriginal 6 birds.
- She would have been 6 yrs old this year.
hit.gif

Oes
My condolences,very heartbreaking when our pets die. She had 6 wonderful years with you,although your heart is breaking,remember her with smiles and love,remember her as a sweet fluffy chick,remember her running to greet you,remember her beautiful inquisitive face and the lovely sounds she made only for you and above all remember that she loved you and that she knew you loved her.

Today one more chicken angel by the name of Caroline,has joined the ranks of guardian flock angels looking after all the rest for eternity.Sweet dreams sweet Caroline,until you and your mom meet again.

~Mia

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind thoughts and sentiments.
I do miss her sooo. It is very strange not to be going in to check on her all the time! The house is empty without her in the dinning room.
Dh was telling everyone we met for weeks how crazy his wife was for "keeping a chicken in the dinning room" - It is amazing just how many folk said they would not put her out in this bad weather ! Still it is odd tonight to have my dinning room back
hit.gif

This is Caroline the Black and white hen on the roost bar - this was way back in 2010 when she was overseeing Mables first attempt to roost. She is the Black and brown chick in the forground - sadly she died last winter. In fact I realise that All the birds in the photo have gone!

Back
Top Bottom