Caroline, Sweet Caroline (Update, Post 21, Feb 27)

Update on our Caroline. She seems to be doing somewhat better, due to daily multiple crop massages, but the main update is to let you know what an amazing head hen she is. This morning she proved that to us yet again.

Poor old Amanda's arthritis has gotten much worse this winter, so much so that she rarely goes outside the coop anymore. She can barely stand to eat and drink, but she's still plugging along, even started laying again day before yesterday. Caroline has not resumed her supervision of Amanda, however, because she is tending to Fern, my 4 1/2 yr old BR hen who is dying. Fern has only a few days, at best. In fact, we may end up euthanizing her in the next day or so. She weighs no more than an 8 week old chick and her comb is shrunken and blackish. She was my very best layer for almost 4 years, then suddenly, she bloated up and the downward spiral began. We did penicillin once, but though she seemed to rally for a time, it wasn't working in the end.
Today, my DH took Fern the rest of his breakfast, one of her favorites, grits mixed with fried eggs. He separated her so she could eat if she wanted to do so. She has little to no appetite now and though it won't help her to eat, he wants to make her more comfortable. She picked at it and turned away so he sat the bowl in front of Amanda and Caroline, who both began eating. They love this concoction, too, like most of my birds.
Fern then walked slowly over to them, between them and began eating. Now, usually this would have been met with a thunk on the head from both of them, since Fern is way down in the hierarchy of that coop, but neither turned her away. Both allowed her to eat out of the same bowl. Then, Caroline looked deeply into Fern's face and backed away from the bowl, giving her portion to Fern, watching her eat.

You may say Caroline had eaten all she wanted (never likely with Caroline), but you'd be wrong. I've seen Caroline perform this same act once before, a year and a half ago, when her Light Brahma "sister", Miranda, was dying of cancer. DH had taken a plate of eggs to the two Brahmas to eat alone. Miranda's appetite had waned as she got weaker, but she began eating. Caroline backed away from the plate and circled Miranda. She'd walk one complete circle, look at Miranda's face, then if Miranda was still eating, she walk around her another time. She did this four or five times. Not until Miranda had quit eating and walked away from the plate, did Caroline go to the plate and start eating herself. I am always impressed by acts I've seen performed by head hens as others in the flock are dying.

I've watched second-in-command hens preside over the passing of the head hen, then go on to become the next head hen, then have that same process repeated when they themselves are dying. I've watched the head hen do as Caroline is doing now, even when they themselves are not well. Chickens are not stupid animals. They are dignified and intelligent and they do show emotion, if you care to see it.

Wow....I am amazed Amanda did not thunk her. That is so sweet. Caroline and Amanda are both bossy but good girls.

You are right about head hens....you remember Delilah presiding over Leaya as she was dying yet Delilah was very I'll and dying herself. The process is heartwarming and heart breaking to watch butone I would not want to miss for the world.

Last edited:
Fern went to that Great Roost in the Sky overnight. She would have turned 5 years old in June. She has been going downhill for weeks, but over the last week or so, could not stand up except on her hocks, though she ate and drank and could still deliver a head thunk to someone she considered beneath her. Caroline and Amanda took great care of her. Fern was a real character, raised by a broody bantam Cochin, my first real flier whose wings we actually did clip at one point.

Fern had an indomitable spirit and clung to life tenaciously. She laid an egg nearly every day for years, amazing layer, my very best I've ever had until she turned 4 years old. RIP my sweet, funny, goofy Fern.

Here is a funny story from her first year back in 2009. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/276666/fern

Fern in her younger days. She was the daughter of my Ideal hatchery hen, Ivy, and a generation removed from hatchery BR rooster.
25 weeks old when she laid her very first egg

In 2012 after she moved to the old hens' coop because my Delaware rooster hated her.

We'll miss you, my crazy girl.

What a tough beautiful gal she was...just like her Mama. Her mama made me love the BR enough to consider having them. RIP beautiful Fern. Say Hi to your mama for me and my Suede.

I guess with the loss of Barbara and now, Fern, my mass die-off of older hens I've been expecting is beginning. I'm just not sure who will be next at this point. Caroline's crop would have done her in already if not for daily attention. Amanda can barely stand, but she laid an egg yesterday and actually made it into a floor level nest-usually, she just lays in a corner of the coop now since she can't hoist herself up over anything to get into a nest.

My blue Ameraucana, Nora, is 6 years old, and has seemed a bit weaker for awhile. She breathes oddly, not congested, but like she has a difficult time pushing air through so you can hear her breath when you hold her, just like an elderly person in a nursing home. Oddly enough, I have gotten a couple of her small pointy bright blue eggs from her over the last two weeks as well.

I've definitely had better luck with my breeder birds than my hatchery stock, with the exception of Caroline, who is now the only hatchery hen I own. I may get a couple from the feed store in Murphy, NC on March 20 when they get NH and Buff Orp pullets since they changed hatcheries to Mt. Healthy from Ideal and I've never had birds from that hatchery (tell me they don't dropship from Ideal, please. If so, forget it) I have a broody D'Anver who has only one bantam egg growing, due to hatch March 21 but they usually hatch on Day 20 so that would be perfect. Cetawin and I may divide up four pullets between us if Aimee will raise them until she gets here to visit in April. Could be a mistake, if so, someone speak up!

I'm very sorry for the loss of your faithful hens. It's very hard to watch them decline after so many years of health. Hopefully you can get some little fuzzballs to cheer you up.
smile.png
hugs.gif

Fern went to that Great Roost in the Sky overnight. She would have turned 5 years old in June. She has been going downhill for weeks, but over the last week or so, could not stand up except on her hocks, though she ate and drank and could still deliver a head thunk to someone she considered beneath her. Caroline and Amanda took great care of her. Fern was a real character, raised by a broody bantam Cochin, my first real flier whose wings we actually did clip at one point.

Fern had an indomitable spirit and clung to life tenaciously. She laid an egg nearly every day for years, amazing layer, my very best I've ever had until she turned 4 years old. RIP my sweet, funny, goofy Fern.

Here is a funny story from her first year back in 2009. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/276666/fern

Fern in her younger days. She was the daughter of my Ideal hatchery hen, Ivy, and a generation removed from hatchery BR rooster.
25 weeks old when she laid her very first egg

In 2012 after she moved to the old hens' coop because my Delaware rooster hated her.

We'll miss you, my crazy girl.
Oh, I am so sorry for the loss of Fern. She was a beautiful hen and provided you with years of love. I hope your heart can heal soon.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom