Carpenter Ants!! In coop!!

some chickens will eat ants but many will not because they are so acidic.

sprinkle cornmeal all around the ant infested area and near the nest. that should do ya.
(and yes, the chickens may eat some but it will work.) if you can find food grade DE that will work also, but it is way more expensive.

also, if you have ducks, they will go crazy will and eat them all up! just put them in your chicken coop for a bit.

Wow you guys we fast...I have non-food grade DE I think I'll try corn meal because I have some but it rains so much here I'll look it up at goole too! Keep ideas coming!

I read somewhere here on BYC about a pesticide called Orange Guard (sold at ACE Hardware), it's safe to use around food, humans and pets. Active ingredient is orange peel extract. Says it kills ants on contact.....

Last edited:
citrus causes eye irritation. says so on their website. 'mild irritation'. in a small animal that could be much worse. also, how old are the chickens? if they are laying, you don't want them eating citrus soaked stuff. citrus and acidic foods cut back the laying.

here is the website just in case you want to check it out. it does seem like a neat product, but maybe not for in a coop.

http://www.orangeguard.com/tech.html

Cleaned the coop out today and didn't put bedding back in till I decided then just went out to check on them and the ants are all over the inside of coop....going to try cornmael inside but only have regular DE so may put it outside but afraid chicks will get into it when they get let out.....maybe just cronmeal tonight and then goto feed store tomorrow....if cornmeal works that would be great.....cheap too.I'll let ya guys know!!

Back
Top Bottom