Carport to Coop/Run Conversion

Thanks so much! The poop catcher has proven very useful in keeping the coop clean. The outdoor fabric has held up very well. I dump it twice a week, hose it off every couple of weeks & use the pressure cleaner on it every 6 mos.

I'd also like to report that we've had zero instances of predator attacks. We've never even seen evidence of any attempts. And it's not because we don't have predators on our area. The people that owned our property before us gave up on chickens because they kept losing them to predators.

Thanks so much! The poop catcher has proven very useful in keeping the coop clean. The outdoor fabric has held up very well. I dump it twice a week, hose it off every couple of weeks & use the pressure cleaner on it every 6 mos.

I'd also like to report that we've had zero instances of predator attacks. We've never even seen evidence of any attempts. And it's not because we don't have predators on our area. The people that owned our property before us gave up on chickens because they kept losing them to predators.
Great Update!

I'm madly in love with your coop. I should really be working but instead staring at your pics dreaming is a much better way to spend my Friday.
gig.gif

I am buying a carport this week for my coop. Can I ask you a couple questions?

How did you attach the HW cloth to the steel frame? Are you seeing any issues you wish you'd done differently? How is the sand working out for you?

We get nasty winds out here, recently one was almost 80 mph. I'm thinking of ways I can make it so my chickens and coop don't end up in Oklahoma, next time it blows like that.

I am buying a carport this week for my coop. Can I ask you a couple questions?

How did you attach the HW cloth to the steel frame? Are you seeing any issues you wish you'd done differently? How is the sand working out for you?

We get nasty winds out here, recently one was almost 80 mph. I'm thinking of ways I can make it so my chickens and coop don't end up in Oklahoma, next time it blows like that.

Our carport was on the property when we bought our house. It seems to have been professionally installed as there are anchor cables and bolts that are driven into the ground so we don't have worries about the carport blowing away. The hardware cloth is attached to the steel frame as well as 2x4s that we installed at specific widths to fit the roll of hardware cloth we purchased. We used metal washers and special self-drilling screws made for metal beams. We used regular wood screws and the washers when attaching to the 2x4 wood beams.

The sand is ok - right now it is packed down and like a hard dirt floor, because of all the rain we've had. So it isn't loose sand, but when it rains it isn't mud. Once it drys out, it is better. We may add more sand on top this fall. But I"m happy with the sand, better than plain dirt.

We fenced in our pasture and so now we let the chickens out daily and lock them up at night. They come in the coop to eat, drink and lay eggs but most of the time they are pecking for bugs in the pasture. So most of the poop is caught in the poop hammock when they roost or out in the pasture.

Not really anything I would do different. I installed an automatic water filler float valve to the 5 gallon bucket which is AWESOME. I never have to fill up their water. It is just hooked to the garden hose and works great. I bought it at tractor supply - it is for animal troughs but fits on the bucket fine. It was $10-$15.

I am going to raise the roost higher so we'll have more levels to accommodate more chickens. I may install an automatic chicken door as well. Other than that, we love it!

My carport/metal building is ordered, and should arrive 4-6 weeks. You have set a great example!

Back
Top Bottom