Carrie Mae has drippy poop

Nov 2, 2022
NE Oklahoma
Should I be concerned? We have noticed some splat-poops in the chicken yard. This evening when I was putting the girls to bed, Carrie Mae pooped from the roost, and after pooping, white watery poo dribbled down her fluff. The poop kinda broke up when it hit the pine shavings, but I attached the best photo I could get.

She otherwise seems fine and is laying, eating, and pecking around in the yard. She eats all flock, layer, and has afternoon treats that can be fresh veg, or grains mixed in either yogurt, unswt apple sauce, or unsweetened baby food fruit. She has access to grit and oyster shell. She's about 8 months old.

I searched other threads but didn't find any that quite matched. Your thoughts, please? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230325_205055.jpg
    20230325_205055.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230325_205124.jpg
    20230325_205124.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 3
Can you rule out watery poop caused by eating high water content foods like squash and melon?

If so, very watery poop can be a sign of a reproductive blockage. Is she laying? If so, when did she start? Has there been any shell quality issues? Is she acting slightly "off"?

Can you rule out watery poop caused by eating high water content foods like squash and melon?

If so, very watery poop can be a sign of a reproductive blockage. Is she laying? If so, when did she start? Has there been any shell quality issues? Is she acting slightly "off"
No watery foods - see paragraph 2. Sometimes a little lettuce, some tomato pieces, cabbage, apple, bell pepper, infrequently and not all at once. They had some cherry tomatoes recently that they played football with, and a few bits of pepper. Today was grain feed in blackberry baby food. I mix like 2 cups of grain into a couple of ounces of fruit - it'spretty thick so they're not getting just the fruit puree. She's been laying since January. One of my hens sometimes lays rough eggs with inconsistent color but I couldn't swear it's her.

Is she acting "off" her normal behavior? When was her last egg?

If she is behaving not as active as she normally does, it could mean she's struggling with an obstruction. That can mean anything from an egg to sloughed off tissue in the oviduct to infection causing pus buildup. Reproductive issues are not simple to diagnose.

One thing I always do, and I just had a hen today with this issue, is to give a calcium tablet in case there's an obstruction to encourage contractions to expel it. I use this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Give one whole tablet directly into the beak. She'll swallow it with ease. Give one each day until she either passes whatever may be blocking her or the watery poop stops.

If so, very watery poop can be a sign of a reproductive blockage. Is she laying? If so, when did she start? Has there been any shell quality issues? Is she acting slightly "off"?
My hen has this same watery fecal on her “butt” feathers. She free ranges during the day. She lays about 1-2 eggs a week but she’s 8 years old so I figured it’s old age. She acts fine to me. I was wondering if she’s having the same problem as this hen?

If she is behaving not as active as she normally does, it could mean she's struggling with an obstruction. That can mean anything from an egg to sloughed off tissue in the oviduct to infection causing pus buildup. Reproductive issues are not simple to diagnose.

One thing I always do, and I just had a hen today with this issue, is to give a calcium tablet in case there's an obstruction to encourage contractions to expel it. I use this. View attachment 3444232Give one whole tablet directly into the beak. She'll swallow it with ease. Give one each day until she either passes whatever may be blocking her or the

One thing I always do, and I just had a hen today with this issue, is to give a calcium tablet in case there's an obstruction to encourage contractions to expel it. I use this. View attachment 3444232Give one whole tablet directly into the beak. She'll swallow it with ease. Give one each day until she either passes whatever may be blocking her or the

One thing I always do, and I just had a hen today with this issue, is to give a calcium tablet in case there's an obstruction to encourage contractions to expel it. I use this. View attachment 3444232Give one whole tablet directly into the beak. She'll swallow it with ease. Give one each day until she either passes whatever may be blocking her or the watery poop stops.
Thanks. I'll get some today.

I checked her this morning and her crop was full. I also followed her until she pooped. Photo attached.

Otherwise, she seems to act ok.

Attachments

• 20230326_071427.jpg
    20230326_071427.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom