Carton or no carton

I wish I had taken a photo of the one little hatchling in the 'bator, sitting comfortably in an egg carton's empty slot. Looking at me.

As if to say, "you want me to get out of this comfortable spot!?!?!"

when using the carton method how do you place the eggs in side ways or little in down Ive only had one hatch and it was a mess with no cartons they were kicking eggs every where im pretty sure it even caused 2 eggs not to hatch as well as hurt a few of each others legs

Does anyone have pics of the carton method? I was advised against using them to hatch but many people seem to say it works great? I think I would like to try it. How do you do it? Do you just place the eggs small end down still and have the egg sitting up or try and lay them down a bit?

For the carton method:

Take an egg carton and cut the top off as well as the little flap to close it.. Then flip it over so you can see the bottom and cut the bottoms off (about 1/4 inch).. Make enough of a hole that the egg will sit in there but not fall through...

Flip it back over and trim the top of the cups a little bit if you choose to.. I don't personally do this because it takes away from the stability of the carton.. Place the carton(s) in the bator and place the eggs in the cups, small end down.. The eggs should lean a little bit.. If they don't, you can trim a little bit more off...

As for turning them, that's the easy part... Just push the cartons about 1 inch (or until all eggs are leaning the same way) and then next time you need to "turn" them, pull it back about an inch.. Be gentle when doing this because if you do it too fast, the eggs will crack on the wire floor of the bator unless you have some shelf liner down already...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom