Cashier or Self Check-out. Which do you prefer?

Being a cashier/CSM, YES. At some point I absolutely love them. But that's because I know how to work them (intricately). I use them if I'm sick that way I won't get the cashier at the register sick.

But, if I've already worked 9 hours at the store...I AM going through a register with a cashier present.

I HATE THEM!!!!!!! With jobs so hard to find, every time you do-it-yourself, you are helping some poor schmuck NOT have a job. Not to mention the fact that I have come into XX place of business and I expect to have a REAL person greet me, speak to me and check out my purchase.

**edited for language**

Last edited by a moderator:
i like someone else to ring my stuff.......however if i am by myself (no kids) i dont mind scanning, but being alone is very rare.

Quote:
EXACTLY!

I mean no offense to ANYONE who does likes and uses the self checkout – but this was a huge topic in our house when they started going into stores.

WHAT is wrong with people!

We are trying to build jobs and put people back to work not knock jobs out of America.

We stand firm - CASHIERS ONLY.

This is another example of lazy Americans choosing convenience over standing in line for a few minutes and employing their neighbor and supporting their community.

I like them, but sometimes I don't get my "bag discount" for bringing in my own bag, so a cashier would have to help me out anyway. Otherwise, I really like them. They had them at my Wal Mart until they remodeled and I used them each time I was there. However, they said they were always breaking down or having problems. I think the real reason was that some people had found a way to cheat and steal through the self-checkout machines.

ETA: I worked at a place where we had self-checkout machines and I actually liked them. It allowed us to offer more personal services and other activities because we weren't tied up behind a computer checking people out.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had to check your location to see if you lived near LauraJean. LOL

I generally dislike the self-checkout for several reasons:

1. I'm expected to do the store's job, with no financial incentive.
2. It's putting somebody out of a job
3. At our local WalMart, they have about eight of these things, but only three are operational at any given time, so you have to wait in line, any way.
4. A few years ago, a large, locally-owned grocery chain started putting them in their new, or remodelled, stores. This grocery store was known to be a little pricier than, say, Food Kitty, but people didn't mind, because they had phenomenal customer service (cheerful cashiers, friendly baggers who wheeled your groceries out to your vehicle - NO TIPPING ALLOWED). I refused to ring up and bag my own groceries in a store I patronized because if its customer service. They've now been bought out by a bigger chain.

That said, our local Home Depot has them, and they are usually operational and line-free. Since I'm usually just in there for lightbulbs, or some other small item, I don't mind using them there.

If I had a cart full of food or products, sure I would use the cashiers, hands down!
If I had a bunch of discounted foods, I would sure use the cashiers.

For ten or less items, I wold go to the self check out rather than standing in line of two people with carts loaded down.

Yep most places would have three or four lanes open with the self check cashiers open (usually three to four opened).

Oh, when they do break down, or having problems scanning, its a B******* to use them and takes more time to scan and call on the head cashier to correct the problem.

I love that one lady in the morning at Kroger's at self checkout, she is really helpful when comes to discounted breads or some labels can not be scanned, she would ring them all up for me, bag them and puts them in my cart.
big_smile.png
Love her services! If in the afternoon, if she is there, regardless of what she doing, either on self check or in those stalls, I would look up to her and use her for my fully loaded carts.

Quote:
EXACTLY!

I mean no offense to ANYONE who does likes and uses the self checkout – but this was a huge topic in our house when they started going into stores.

WHAT is wrong with people!

We are trying to build jobs and put people back to work not knock jobs out of America.

We stand firm - CASHIERS ONLY.

This is another example of lazy Americans choosing convenience over standing in line for a few minutes and employing their neighbor and supporting their community.

This.

If there is a creepy or inappropriate cashier tell some one.

I enjoy the interactions, consider some of the people at my store to be members of my community. I always speak to the people who work there and if some one does a good job I make sure to pass that on.

This came in real handy when I had a major asthma attack in the store. They didn't just do the minimum they treated me awesomely.

I resent being told to do some one else's job without even getting a price discount. I also flatly refuse to shop at WalMart. (I know some people have few choices, but I do so I choose.)

Back
Top Bottom