Cashier or Self Check-out. Which do you prefer?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Many of the grocery stores have these self check out stations where you scan your own items, place them in the bag, scan your coupons, etc. Then you touch the computer screen when you're done- "FINISH AND PAY" - insert your money or swipe your debit or credit card. Get your change, receipt and GO! All of this is is done with no cashier, no bad attitudes, no frowns, no problems, no complaints, no waiting, no funny smells, no strong perfumes, no nothing. It's just you, your groceries and this scan-comupter-thing-a-ma-jig.

I think it is convenient because hardly any customers are ever at this self check out station, so you're in there and out and when you look back those same people that were standing in line when you began checking yourself out are still standing in line. By that time, you are out of the door, groceries in car and on your way home.

Do you all have these self check out stations in your grocery stores? If so, what do you think about that them? Do you like them or not? If you like them, why do you like them and if not, why do you NOT like them. Just curious.

As for myself, I LOVE THEM!!!! It is so convenient when I am in a rush and need to get home.

I know that the grocery stores probably love them because they have 4 self check out stations and no cashier (or maybe 1 person standing guard in case there is a problem), so they don't have to pay someone when the customer is doing the cashier's job.

Your thoughts?

We don't really have them around here. I have used one once when I was out of state. It was okay I guess.

I LOVE them when I'm just checking out a few items. They tend to be so much quicker than the cashier lanes. I won't use them if I have more than about 6 items or if I have much produce though.

We were buying three of the same item, and it would not scan the other two. we had to get people help anyway. It took us much longer. I would rather talk to a person. People need jobs.

When they work they are awesome, but if you get the one that's feeling glitchy it's a pain because they've got one (at most) person on duty for all of them and that person has to make the rounds dealing with problems... the thing glitching, not scanning etc but also just total morons who for some reason thought hitting Spanish would be a good idea, ones that try to scan a potato and the like.

Overall IF there is a line and self is open I take self checkout, but if no line I go through the regular way.

Back
Top Bottom