Cast Iron Newbie

For those of us who have those glass top electric ranges.........can we just use the iron skillets in the oven? I would love to use them but with electric??? I do have enamel coated cast iron pots that are my favs for on top the stove. I just don't know if the heat in electric oven would work??? thanks for any advice

I have no idea about glass top. The electric part is not an issue, in fact the cast iron will help evenly distribute the spotty heat you get with electric. I would check the user's manual to make sure the surface wouldn't be damaged. Then again, I imagine that they take into consideration all varieties of pots & pans when they manufactured the cook top. If you can't find your manual at home, they usually have them in PDF format online.

You can use cast iron in the oven. I use my newer ones on stovetop, but i won't use my antique ones on electric coil stovetop on account of it leaving a spiral pattern on the pan bottom. I don't know if it actually hurts them, but i didn't want to take the chance.

Back
Top Bottom