Cast Iron Users:

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickaroo!, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I have this cast iron dutch oven that I got from a friend and it's all sticky b/c she "seasoned" it w/reg. veg. oil and not something like Crisco. Does anyone know how to clean the stickyness off?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can you burn it off? I know that what we had to do one time while camping because the pot was all sticky.

3. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    I don't think so Chicker. I've put it in the oven and tried to bake it for awhile, but it didn't work.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmmm, yeah I guess if you don't have access to a campfire, that won't really work! [​IMG]

I've always wanted a nice set of cast iron, but the only thing I really know is that you can't wash them with soap and water. I hope someone comes along with better advice!

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If it is real bad, you can scrub it off but then you will have to reseason it, but use a plain steel wool sponge not SOS with soap in it. The cast iron will absorb the soap.

this is a link to LODGE one of the best makers of Cast Iron Cookware Tells how to season/reseason cookware. http://www.castironcookware.com/cleaning-seasoning.html

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  6. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks Marlin. I was thinking that I might be able to use that, but just wasn't certain.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree with scrubbing it with stainless steel scrubber. You don't want to soap it up because it strips everything and it can absorb the soap but once you scrub it like crazy put it in the oven and get it HOT. Then wash it with a little soapy water and dry it off quick and right back into the hot oven. Once it is cool check it and see if it is still sticky. If so repeat. If not oil it, and store it upside down where stuff can't stick to it. You'll have to wipe it out well before you use it next.

8. 2 Beauts

2 Beauts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never tried it, but what about using some sand in a paste?

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by