Cast Iron Users:

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
I have this cast iron dutch oven that I got from a friend and it's all sticky b/c she "seasoned" it w/reg. veg. oil and not something like Crisco. Does anyone know how to clean the stickyness off?

I don't think so Chicker. I've put it in the oven and tried to bake it for awhile, but it didn't work.

Hmmm, yeah I guess if you don't have access to a campfire, that won't really work!
tongue.png

I've always wanted a nice set of cast iron, but the only thing I really know is that you can't wash them with soap and water. I hope someone comes along with better advice!

Thanks Marlin. I was thinking that I might be able to use that, but just wasn't certain.

I agree with scrubbing it with stainless steel scrubber. You don't want to soap it up because it strips everything and it can absorb the soap but once you scrub it like crazy put it in the oven and get it HOT. Then wash it with a little soapy water and dry it off quick and right back into the hot oven. Once it is cool check it and see if it is still sticky. If so repeat. If not oil it, and store it upside down where stuff can't stick to it. You'll have to wipe it out well before you use it next.

Back
Top Bottom