Cat food as a protein boost, but wet, dry, what brand.....

Quote:
You can however give them BOSS for extra protein if you must

BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed) in only around 16% protein so unless you are feeding a low protein feed (less than 16%) you will not increase protein by feeding BOSS.

Chris​

Last edited:
I do not ordinarily provide much in the way of supplements other than that all kitchen scraps are thrown outside and they can pick through them and eat what they want to. However we've had a cold snap the past few days with several inches of snow and temps low enough they don't want to leave the coop. I figured it made sense to increase protein since they are using so much energy just to stay warm. Yesterday I mixed a can of wet cat food into their mash (made of layer food and hot water) and today I mixed a handful of dry food into the same mash. Nothing scientific - I just figured it would add a little interest to their otherwise boring day stuck in the coop if nothing else, and if it helps them stay a little warmer, all the better.

If the intent is to raise the protein level, you need dry cat food - not canned. I add kitten chow to my scratch - which is equal parts BOSS, whole corn, kitten chow and alfalfa. But this is only a supplement, fed sparingly especially during molting. It is not their main staple diet - that is a commerical game & showbird breeder pellet.

If you do want to increase the protein level in your chickens diet, cat food is not really healthy for your chickens because of the sodium content, which can cause severe kidney problems.
Also, the animal protein in most cat food (dry or wet) is "chicken meat" and that just does not sound right to me either.

Most of the commercial chicken food does not contain animal protein anymore at all. Here are some possibilities to boost the protein level in your chickens diet, but be aware that too much protein in a chickens diet will not only cause nutritional imbalances, it can also cause diseases like Gout etc.

1) You can use "Flockraiser", which is a balanced poultry feed for all kind of poultry and has a protein content (depending on the brand) between 18% to 22%. For laying chickens it does not have enough calcium, but if you always have free choice cracked oyster shell available for them, the lack of calcium will not be a problem with "Flockraiser"

2) Some people use "Manna Pro" pellets to increase the protein level in their chickens diet, but some chickens are very finicky eaters and it will take them a while (if at all) to get used to it

3) My personal overall favourite protein "increaser" are "Meal Worms": nothing is better than that. Some of my chickens went through a very hard moult last year and were almost naked. This winter I was feeding meal worms every other day and the chickens feathered out so much faster than all the other years, never had bold spots like they did before and always stayed shiny in their plumage. Most of my chickens started laying after the winter break about 3 weeks earlier than last year. Quintessence or meal worms? I am convinced it is the meal worms!

This is at the bottom of the BYC treats chart:

the following is from DLHunicorn in response to the listing of cat food in this Treats Chart: (A word to the wise, and thank you, DLHunicorn)

"You all know how I feel on cat food and I have posted the links and reasoning behind my objections several times ...it can potentially be detrimental to your birds health and even deadly in the right circumstances and for this reason I feel it should be left off the chart (as when you put it on it is as if you are condoning its use) I will repost here one of the sources for my objection:
http://www.omri.org/Amino_acids_livestock.html
..."While it is nutritionally essential, methionine excesses are far more toxic to poultry than similar excesses of tryptophan, lysine, and threonine (National Research Council, 1994). Force feeding methionine to excess can result in death to chicks (National Research Council, 1994). A dosage of 2 g / mature cat / day (20 to 30 g / kg dry diet) for 20 days induces anorexia, ataxia, cyanosis, methemoglobinemia and Heinz body formation resulting in hemolytic anemia (Maede, 1985). ..."

While it is nutritionally essential, methionine excesses are far more toxic to poultry than similar excesses of tryptophan, lysine, and threonine (National Research Council, 1994).

Force feeding methionine to excess can result in death to chicks

Methionine is an added ingredient in most every chicken feed on the market.

If you want to boost your birds protein, feed them Flock Raiser or Gamebird pellets

It's cheaper and better for them​

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. Mine get BOSS everyday as a treat and has all along. I think right now I will just keep doing what I am doing, fresh greens, a cabbage or two a week, BOSS daily and a few meat treats like scraps or sardines.

Back
Top Bottom