Cat food as a protein boost, but wet, dry, what brand.....

BethieofVA

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
I have seen were it is mentioned that some folks give their birds some premium cat food as a treat or supplement to the regular feed, especially during the winter. I just now treated mine(8 chickens) to a can of sardines packed in water, but was wondering about the cat food. Do you give them wet or dry? What brand is considered premium? I would do this for them, but not sure what to buy.

Thanks! Beth

The only caution I have seen about giving cat food as a protien boost is the amount of sodium in it.

I give mine some cheap, $2.00 for 4 lbs. dry cat food daily ( about 2 lbs for 18 hens @31% protein) as a side treat. I find that this helps with their feather regrowth after moulting. The salt content is pretty high, so make sure that the chickens have plenty of fresh water.

Quote:
Thank you. Do you just give them some, like throw out a handful, for a treat?

Just a handful now and then, for treats. Maybe a bit more often when it is cold. Sometimes I put them in the chicken"s porridge.
The Peacock likes them too.
Its a expensive treat but what they hey
roll.png

I usually give them the powdered vitmains in their drinking water when they are molting and winter time. Just a added boost.

Last edited:
Cat food is for cats. While some folks do feed it to their chickens it is not necessary. Poultry feed has everything to keep your chickens healthy. You can however give them BOSS for extra protein if you must. No books I have read on poultry keeping ever recommended giving chickens cat food.

I personally believe some of the problems folks have with their birds is due to the unorthodox feeding habits and unbalanced nutritional feeding habits inflicted on the poor birds.

Please keep in mind that most everyone here is not a professional educated in animal husbandry.

Last edited:
Quote:
Feeding cat food is referenced in the Storey's Guide to raising chickens, BUT it says " feed a tiny amount of quality canned cat food daily, preferably offered as a treat during coop training", the book also refers to it somewhere else. My son at a show, (showing his really old cochin), was told by the judge, that the then 6 1/2 yr old roo would benefit from cat food in his diet. I was worried about how hard it would be on his digestion .

I have to agree with rancher hicks, personally I like BOSS, and flax seed, I also give during extreme cold, crimped oats and timothy hay. And fresh grass we grow for the cows. I would love to hear rancher hicks opinion on these practices and what anyone elses opinions may be. I am trying to be sure we have a complete diet without short cutting it especially since we are getting more focused on larger breeds. (Also, our birds free range some for bug control around the house)

Thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom