Cat Food Recipe

Chickenkittenlover

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2021
Hey y’all I’ve been making cat and kitten food for about a year and I know a lot about what they should and shouldn’t have in their diet. I have a recipe that is great and your cat should love it.

Ingredients:
1 egg (optional: keep the egg shell)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (tip: some kittens and cats have lactose intolerance so you have to be careful of how much dairy you give them)
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 whole carrot
5 oz 1 can of chunk light tuna in water (keep the tuna water)

Tools:
Blender
Vegietable peeler
Plastic bag for storage (keep this in the fridge)

Instructions:
1. Blend the 1 egg and 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream in the blender.
2. Open the 5 oz 1 can tuna and stir it up with the extra 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream.
3. Peel the 1 carrot with the vegetable peeler and slice those in to tiny pieces.
4. Blend the egg shell in the blender for calcium (optional).
5. Mix 1/4 cup cottage cheese with the tuna mixture.
6. And when your done mix all of it together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 3
Hey y’all I’ve been making cat and kitten food for about a year and I know a lot about what they should and shouldn’t have in their diet. I have a recipe that is great and your cat should love it.

Ingredients:
1 egg (optional: keep the egg shell)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (tip: some kittens and cats have lactose intolerance so you have to be careful of how much dairy you give them)
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 whole carrot
5 oz 1 can of chunk light tuna in water (keep the tuna water)

Tools:
Blender
Vegietable peeler
Plastic bag for storage (keep this in the fridge)

Instructions:
1. Blend the 1 egg and 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream in the blender.
2. Open the 5 oz 1 can tuna and stir it up with the extra 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream.
3. Peel the 1 carrot with the vegetable peeler and slice those in to tiny pieces.
4. Blend the egg shell in the blender for calcium (optional).
5. Mix 1/4 cup cottage cheese with the tuna mixture.
6. And when your done mix all of it together.
While this may make a fun treat for cats and kittens, I would strongly advise against using this as their main diet.

Cats and kittens are all lactose intolerant, not just some. All of the milk products in this should be replaced with kitten milk replacer.

The tuna is also not a great idea in the long run. Canned tuna has very high levels of mercury and continued feeding of it can cause mercury poisoning.

While this may make a fun treat for cats and kittens, I would strongly advise against using this as their main diet.

Cats and kittens are all lactose intolerant, not just some. All of the milk products in this should be replaced with kitten milk replacer.

The tuna is also not a great idea in the long run. Canned tuna has very high levels of mercury and continued feeding of it can cause mercury poisoning.
yeah this isn’t an everyday food, it’s just a good treat and it has good vitamins. I forgot to put on my post that this is supposed to be taken slowly, not just everyday because yes this has a lot of vitamins and tuna is t the best but my veterinarian says that even they put tuna in their cats diet so... it is still good for them just not all the time.

yeah this isn’t an everyday food, it’s just a good treat and it has good vitamins. I forgot to put on my post that this is supposed to be taken slowly, not just everyday because yes this has a lot of vitamins and tuna is t the best but my veterinarian says that even they put tuna in their cats diet so... it is still good for them just not all the time.
This is a great idea! Its a great idea to add additional vitamins to a cats diet through vegetables, and meat. If it were me, there are a few things I would change.
Omit all dairy products. Dairy isn't good for cats or dogs, since they are lactose intolerant and don't digest it well. Its very hard on their gut. Canned pumpkin is a really good addition to the diet, containing lots of important compounds, its immune boosting, and in some cases prevents cancer. Its also wet (caned pumpkin is the best option) so its a good binder for your recipe. I would replace all dairy products with organic canned pumpkin.
Next, carrots are great, but its really good to add additional vegetables and switch it up. Kale, spinach, dandelion greens, and other vegetables contain lots of great vitamins for cats. I would suggest adding these to your mix for additional nutrition.

Lastly, I would try to stay away from canned tuna. Since there is so much pollution in the ocean, even though tuna has lots of benefits, it also contains heavy metals because of pollution. These heavy metals aren't good for your cats immune system, and can cause issues. Organic, grass fed meat such as ground beef, or ground turkey are better options. Always choose grass fed due to omega 3 and 6 balance. Organ meats are even better! They contain so many great nutrients and vitamins that kibble is deficient in. They make up most of the nutrition in homemade raw food. Winco carries chicken hearts, and livers, but grass fed is always better if possible.
If you still want to use tuna, feel free, but don't use it every time, its really good for your cats gut if you switch it up. If you do feed fish, make sure its wild caught rather than farmed since farmed fish contain GMO's, and double check that its in water not oil.
I hope my post is helpful to you, and you choose to use some of the tips. I make homemade raw dog food for my dogs, and have been doing so for quite some time now. I have seen much improvement. The above info I have learned on my raw food journey. I hope its helpful!

I would just give them raw eggs. As said above dairy is not good and I agree with the fish bits. But I strongly disagree with giving cats vegetables! Cats are obligate carnivores they don’t need plants in there diets, if you really want to add plants to their diet I would grow some grass and let them eat as much as they want

I would just give them raw eggs. As said above dairy is not good and I agree with the fish bits. But I strongly disagree with giving cats vegetables! Cats are obligate carnivores they don’t need plants in there diets, if you really want to add plants to their diet I would grow some grass and let them eat as much as they want
This is very true. Cats and dogs alike aren’t built to eat vegetables, but in homemade diets they play a role in adding key nutrients for modern pets. Though all veggies must be shredded or minced for proper digestion, either that of fermented.

This is very true. Cats and dogs alike aren’t built to eat vegetables, but in homemade diets they play a role in adding key nutrients for modern pets. Though all veggies must be shredded or minced for proper digestion, either that of fermented.
Dogs are built for it a bit, cats are not. Cats are not very domesticated. my opinion is, it is point less since they can’t get the nutrients from the vegetables properly and if they don’t need it in the wild why would the need it in captivity? Also you shouldn’t be lumping cats and dogs in to the same thing with nutrition so much, they are to very different species. In some ways they are the same, I feed the same thing to my dog as to my cats, but when it comes to grains and vegetables I think they are very different to there needs

Cats are obligate carnivores, dogs are not they are facultative carnivores

“Obligate or "true" carnivores are those whose diet requires nutrients found only in animal flesh. While obligate carnivores might be able to ingest small amounts of plant matter, they lack the necessary physiology required to fully digest it. Some obligate carnivorous mammals will ingest vegetation as an emetic, to self-induce vomiting the food that upset its stomach.[citation needed]

Obligate carnivores are diverse. The amphibian axolotlconsumes mainly worms and larvae in its environment, but if necessary will consume algae. All felids, including the domestic cat, require a diet of primarily animal flesh and organs.[5] Specifically, cats have high protein requirements and their metabolisms appear unable to synthesize essential nutrients such as retinol, arginine, taurine, and arachidonic acid; thus, in nature, they must consume flesh to supply these nutrients”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore

I was going to add this as well, but you beat me to it. Even though they may eat a vegetable now and then, cats are not designed to eat vegetables on any sort of regular basis. They are obligate carnivores.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom