Cat Found a Baby Rabbit!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 14, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Thing is, I have NO idea where it came from. If I leave it outside, cat will eat it. She hasn't hurt it at all.

What kind of milk-replacer can a rabbit eat safely? I could have SWORN it was cat's milk replacer...but I want to be sure!

Any help is appreciated!

2. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I raised a batch of bunnies a couple years ago after my dog got into em'

I used cats milk replacer and a little plunger thing. They were pests when it came to feeding. Had to shove that thing in there mouth before they got the message to"eat" LOL.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG]

This picture looks like the exact same age as the baby rabbit that Tinkerbell decided would keep me good company...

Plunger...like a syringe without the needle?

How much do they need to eat?

4. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, if you have pet store near to you, they usualy have the feeding tubes with the rubber thing on the end, and have the cats replacer milk. Are these wild bunnys?. Mine were about that age I usualy did little under half of a plunger. This was a long time ago so im not sure, I would look up what you can.

5. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Yes I think at Petco or a pet store similar they actually have the rabbit replacement formula.

Just make sure that the little one stays warm. They tend to cool of quickly at that age.

Good luck!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aww! i hope the baby makes it! [​IMG]

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Walmart sells milk replacer in cans for small animals.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If there was the slightest breaking of skin the cat's saliva carries a bacteria that the bunny would likely need antibiotics to survive.

Baby bunnies die from stress very readily. So a warm, quiet, stress free, cozy spot inside a cage or carrier...... fleece clothing or blanket maybe comforting.....

If there is a wildlife rehab place near you, bring the bunny there.
    If not, you can call such a place for advice.

I hope babybun will be alright. Thanks for coming to the rescue [​IMG]
    JJ

9. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Be careful when feeding it not to let it aspirate (get milk in its lungs). They do sell tiny bottles, too, which I've used successfully with kittens. It's a bit more "natural" for sucking, although you might have to work with the opening in the nipple to get it just right.

Don't forget to help the baby eliminate by wiping its butt with a warm damp paper towel or rag.

Good luck!!

10. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Best source of information.

http://squirrelworld.com/RabRehab.html

I raised some last year on this. All three were returned to the wild when they were half grown. Wild Rabbits have a hard time adjusting without dying out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by