cat help - losing fur on her leg...*photos added*

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
i have a 3 year old outdoor cat who has recently started losing the fur on her front left paw and leg. she's constantly licking it and making it sore. i bathed it and had a good look but cant see anything other than red sore skin where she licks it. the hair loss starts on her paw and goes all the way up to her 'elbow'

any idea what i could put on it to soothe the chapped skin? im keeping her inside at the moment (with her protesting about it but tough!)

update 4/01/12

well the redness and weeping has nearly but now its also dry and cracking in places. ive also found a little lump under the skin (see photo between my thumb and finger) im wondering if shes got a grass seed or a splinter in there, and she's constantly licking to try and get it out?

100_9010.jpg

100_9011.jpg

100_9012.jpg

100_9014.jpg

100_9016.jpg

(please ignore the red/pink dye on her fur, thats from a salve/cream i put on the skin to sooth it, but she licked most of it straight off!

Last edited:
I think many people are at work now. My cat compulsively licked his stomach until it was bald because his friend cat next door was put down. The vet said I would to give him an antidepressant. Luckily the problem did get better. I would suggest going to the vet first.
Answer these questions also and it might resolve some problems
How old is kitty
When did you notice it
had your kitty had any changes to diet, flea control, or environment (new cat in household/ or care taker move away? even his favorite chair removed to basement) This can cause compulsive licking or it may be an allergy.
Many times going on line can help but many times a vet can diagnose the problem and give you some type of treatment before the problem worsens

Can you wrap it up so she cant get to it? Use something like vet wrap,...even a neck collar so she cant chew it...

Is it swollen? It could be a bug bite, or a snake bite,

I would say just keep an eye on it, if it doesn't get any better

in a week I would say Bring kitty to the vet.

i've added some photos of how it looks today - updated in the first post

many thanks for the replies...i plan on waiting a day or two more to see how she gets on, then if no change i'll get her off to the vets this weekend on my day off

That looks like she has licked it off. My aunt's cat has an anxiety problem and has licked her stomach bare. Has anything in the house changed recently? That could be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom