1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat peeing? Help!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abbymckinn, Jan 1, 2015.

1. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a bengal cat who is probably 3 years old? She is a little, different, upstairs if you know what I mean... She has been peeing in weird places lately, and I'm not sure why or how to fix it! I got a new dog and I think it scares her, but they're getting along better. She's an indoor cat, and has two litter boxes (which she uses) please help! My mom said if we can't get her to stop we have to get rid of her, I really love her and don't want to get rid of her!! Any help would be so appreciated!!!

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    New dog will make them do that.

3. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Will she stop when she gets used to her?

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Hard to say.Hopefully she will.If she does it again lock her in the bathroom with the cat boxes for a couple days.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Definitely a new animal can stress a cat and cause them to urinate outside the litter box.

I would definitely try to give her a private area where only she has access (the puppy cannot get in). Dog gates work perfect for this. Our cat was stressed for a awhile when I brought my new dog home to visit. So we gated off the laundry room where her litter box was and she was much more relaxed. We also have her a cat bed up high so the dogs couldn't get to her. She's been much more confident now that she has gotten used to the new dog but it did take a little while so we had to have patience.

6. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks! She does have a cat tree she can climb up to the top, the pup can't reach her on most of the tree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by