Cat people -- help please!!

bantamamba

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Okay so...a few days ago, my three year-old male cat was exhibiting symptoms of a UTI. We took him to the vet, they put him on broad spec antibiotics. He appeared to be getting better...but then yesterday morning I caught him urinating pure blood in my sink.

Took him back to the vet...they kept him overnight for x-rays and cultures. X-rays are clean. They botched a urine collection so we were told to call this morning for an update. The vet at this point is suspecting diabetes as his urine had a large amount of glucose in it...and it is possible he developed an infection somewhere due to the "possible" diabetes. However, they are still ruling everything else out and searching for another cause.

I know that sometimes, cats will have a lot of glucose in their urine when they are stressed...and I'm sure being at the vet approaching two days is not helping. I am supposed to call back at 5 pm today.
sad.png

This is super frustrating. My monster female cat had to be put down at five due to a heart valve defect. Now this one, at THREE, is baffling the vets with bloody urine.

He does not have all the symptoms of a diabetic cat but what the heck do I know. He's not obese and he eats an expensive all-natural diet low in salts and whathaveyou. We have no toxic plants in the house.

Once again...does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? July has not been a good month toward my animals...

Last edited:
Sure sounds like a UTI to me. What kind of food are you feeding him? I found out by accident with the melamine scare a few years back, when all the animals were dying from pet foods containing the grains contaminated with melamine, that my cat was allergic to glueten when I changed to a grain free brand of cat food. She was having many health issues, but now she is healthy and happy! You might try changing him over to Natural Balance limited diet formula cat food. All the pet stores carry it. Sorry your kitty isn't well! Good luck!
hugs.gif

He's young for diabetes, seems. And the x-rays were negative. My cat was having UTI symptoms last summer, and vet kept putting him on antibiotics. $600 later, no better. Finally, he got worse one Fri. night, and went to emergency vet. X-rays found bladder stones, of course, the kind that had to be operated on, not dissolved. He's ended up being my $2000 kitty. My vet said that sometimes they don't respond to one antibiotic. Was he urinating small amounts, and straining?

Back
Top Bottom