Cat poop in run

jmtcmkb

Songster
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
New Hampshire
We have built our coop and run in an area that used to be a ouor kids swing set and sand box-- The kids havent used it in years and we have now discovered the next door neighbors cat has been taking full advantage
sad.png

What is now going to be the chickens run area had lots of cat poop, I have sifted everything I can find out, will this be safe for the chickens? What else can I do to mke it clean and safe? Our plan is to make a sand run.

Once you have it fenced in so the cats can't go back in there of course... I would just scoop up the bigger bits with a snow shovel, rake up the rest taking the top layer of dirt (just what you rake up), hose it down, let it dry, then throw the sand on top of it. You should be fine that way.

ok thank you- it's all closed in now- I used a bit of left over hardware cloth and panned for poop
sickbyc.gif
there was a lot in there.. I wanted to fling it back over the nieghbors fence, but I was nice and put it in the woods.

I am sure all the big stuff is out if there's any left it's smaller than what would fit through the 1/2" Hardware cloth. I just wasnt sure about any residue left over.

I have seen our chickens eat unbelieveably gross things. I can't imagine that what is left in the sand would hurt them. They are very quick to turn their noses up at anything they don't appreciate!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom