Cat Problem--1000th post --a final update--She's Back!! Add a pic p 6

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

any updates on your kitty?

Still see her but haven't been able to lure her into the live trap or get close to her--DW calls and she runs in the other direction. Yesterday I added some catnip to the trap but didn't work last night and haven't seen her today. I'm concerned, given her dislike of any kind of cat carrier, if she enter the trap. We'll see. I'm also sure she is too far from home to return but who knows?​

I admire your determination - How about setting a net down and then hiding in a tree, ready to pull up on that thing the minute she steps into it - I know, drastic, but it may work!

Quote:
Not any trees near where she is, just brush. Maybe a tranquilizer dart? I'm afraid it is going to have to be her going into the live trap or nothing. Unless she gets to the point where she goes into someones barn or shed where we can trap her a net isn't going to help but thanks for the suggestion. Right now we have all the people in the area keeping an eye out for her in case she starts using one of their buildings.

Edited to add to above. After writing the above I took my DW down to check the trap. As soon as we approached the field I saw Midnite and DW got out, called while shaking a bag of cat food. Of course the cat went in the opposite direction but this time, instead of heading into the woods she went toward a house with a few outbuildings. I stopped in and asked the woman that owns it--a former student BTW--if I could leave the trap there and she said that I could. Again, I'm not confident that it will work but at least we've found where she's hiding out so it may make it easier. It'll also give someone else to watch the trap for us so we don't have to keep checking it twice a day.

Last edited:
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

The latest update--disappointment. Last we tracked the cat we were trying to trap to a house but the people were not home. Got a good look at it and my DW said that it was not Midnite but I had to check--I figured after two weeks of being on her own her appearance would have changed. So I found where the people work--the family operates a recycling center-- and we went there. Found out that the cat is theirs so we've been chasing the wrong cat for almost a week. Now we're back to square one.

DW is a bit distraught but at least I feel that, assuming nothing has happened to her, that she is closer to home which will, assuming she ever wants to, make it easier to find her way back. Now we can go back to looking and calling around here--checking our neighbors' sheds and barns. I reset the trap near my mother's abandon modular home thinking she may be living under it--excellent source of mice--but only succeeded in catching one of our other cats. When he didn't come when called at 11:30, I had to go over there and get him. He was very glad to see me.
he.gif

Nothing this week. I made up a bunch of business card with her picture and DW's name and phone number and she 's handed them out to neighbors within a couple of miles. One said they saw a cat hunting near his house--about half a mile from home--so we moved the trap near there.

I've been saying that I didn't think she went too far. This afternoon DW went for a walk in the direction I had felt she went. Not more than 200 feet from our property line, on a driveway leading to the neighbor's summer/weekend home across the street DW spotted Midnite! Fortunately, for some reason she had taken the camera with her so got some pictures that 99.9% verify that it is her. Unfortunately when she called the cat wouldn't come but walked slowly toward an old abandon barn that is on the other end of the field. We got the owners permission and have set the trap inside the barn--the structure is in sad shape but it is dry so I suspect she's been living there. Now all we have to do is to get her to go into the trap--baited with cat food.

Back
Top Bottom