Cat problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Patoot, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    When I got my girls, I was worried about keeping the neighbor's cat out of the yard, but I really had no way to do that easily. I bought an electric fence, but never put it up because one day I saw the cat in the yard with the chickens and all was fine. I've seen her in the yard two other times so it's not all that often, but today I caught her eating their food! I have just switched them to layer pellets and I thought they were finally eating it, but now I wonder if it's the stinking cat. She isn't hurting the chickens, but I don't want her eating their food. I switched to pellets to save food, not feed her. Grr...

Any ideas of how to keep her out? She jumps super high and I can't have my fences that high according to zoning stuff here. I can't spray her with water because as soon as she sees me she runs. Maybe I can figure out a feeding situation that allows the girls to eat, but not the cat. Not sure what that would be though because the cat is smaller than the chickens. Maybe a skinny thing so only beaks can fit?

So annoying!

Bree

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Are the chickies sneaking over an eating her food too? that would be funny.......[​IMG]

Did you speak with your neighbor about containing their cat?
    Is it the coop/run area the cat has easy access to or is the food placed outside in the free range zone?

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I wonder why the cat is eating the feed. Maybe it is hungry. If so, I'd let it eat because I love cats. More likely it is curious and will stop after a bit. I would put food out for it or ask its owners to give you some cat food to feed it if it's a financial burden. One of the funnier things to see at my house is the rooster keeping the 7 cats and 3 dogs in line. The cats, with the exception of the youngest, give the chickens a wide bearth. My alpha dog and the rooster have got into it a few times and I had to intervene. I am sure the dog would win so I keep an eye on the situation. One day the alpha dog turned and walked away from the rooster and the rooster bit him in the butt. Very funny.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    any grit added in the pellet...? might be a short term problem...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could add pepper to the chicken feed - chickens don't mind but I don't think kitty would like it. That might convince her to eat elsewhere.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    add pepper to the chicken feed, chickens don't mind but I don't think kitty would like it. Might convince her to eat somewhere else.

7. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree pepper would work, some cats will just eat anything regardless of how much they are fed at home (I know because we have a kitten that is a major piggy!) black pepper or cayenne would work, I have also heard cayenne has de-worming properties. Of course if you live where it is very hot save the pepper for cold weather or it may cause your chickens to over heat.
    I would also ask the neighbor how much they are feeding the cat- it may need an extra meal to keep it out of your chicken feed! Good luck!

8. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    It's likely that the chicken feed will make the cat sick if she eats a lot of it. Cats and dogs can't digest that amount of corn. Of course, the cat probably won't understand what's making it sick, and it'll keep coming back, but the owner may wonder why she suddenly started throwing up all the time.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Offer to build your neighbor a cat run or trap the cat and take it to a shelter.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A havaheart trap will work...put a can of tuna catfood in it and trap the cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by