Cat question

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
Our kitty.. around 6 months old (adopted her 3 weeks ago or so))) I put a collar on her, has jingles and info tag etc. Even tho shes a indoor cat, I am nervous if she sneaks outside, like if the kids accidently leave the door open etc.
Do you all put collars on your indoor cats. ? I feel bad I put it on her, However i can hear her jingling when she enters the room now. LOL
lol.png

I personally never put a collar on any of my house cats. Now, the neighbors have indoor and outdoor cats, and they do put a collar on their outdoor cats, so that we know which ones are pets and which ones are strays.

I think if you put the collar on where you can insert two fingers under the collar, it's safer because it's snug enough not to get caught on things....They also have break-away collars.

yes, its not tight. i didnt think of it getting caught on something. like she could fall and hang herself? yikes!
roll.png

I would be too afraid of the collar getting hung on something the way cats go in/out of bushes etc... I guess a breakaway type collar, but then if it does get hung and breakaway, the cat is without a collar anyway. So I'm not sure whether one is really worth it or not.

A couple stories from working in vets office: I have seen too many embedded collars on dogs and cats its really sick I don't know how people can not notice that happening. Heard of dogs hanging themselves in their crates. I think they bother kitties, they are usually bald under collars. I've had indoor outdoor kitties for over 25 years and never lost one, but I make my neighbors aware what cats are mine so they do not get carted off to the spca. Never use FLEA collars they are worthless, they are poisonous and I have seen horrible rashes that made their skin like hamburger.

Our cats are indoor only and they do not have collars. We trained out cats not to go outside by taking a soda can and putting a couple of coins in it. Then when we opened a door and when the cats would approach we would toss the noisy can outside. It scares the you know what out of them but they no longer attempt to sneak out the doors. P.S. Don't let them see YOU toss the can.
wink.png

I don't put collars on my housecats or the cats that go outside part-time, like our Bug. I used to use the breakaway collars on my outside cats, until I saw one fail.

Back
Top Bottom