cat stew anyone?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Netherworldtaken, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Netherworldtaken

Netherworldtaken In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    So, I am building a auto watering system for our backyard girls. I ordered 6 of those orange chicken watering nipple things. I installed the first 3 the other day but ran into a couple of delays to get the others in. I had them on my dresser and when i went to grab them to install there was only one. I found the second one on the floor next to the cat's bed and am still looking for the third. Now, i am generally an animal lover and yes i find the humor in this, but tearing the house apart to find the third one is giving me fits.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Seems your cat is the culprit.[​IMG]

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Songster

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    LMAO!!!!! [​IMG]

I totally understand now that I've read past your post title! [​IMG]:lau

My 3 cats - esp the younger 2 - get into stuff all the time and then I can't find anything. My 3 kids certainly don't help. [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I hope the cat hasn't eaten it! It would be more than the house you'd need to search [​IMG] Good luck finding it hopefully be easy to find [​IMG]

5. kwork

kwork In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Not intending to jack your thread but I have a watering system question:
    I'm in the planning stages of building a chicken ark and thought a watering system using those nipples looks like a great idea. My questions are these: Does it take much/any training to show the chickens how to use it? and How far above the ground should the pipe be mounted for a hen to reach it comfortably? I haven't decided on a particular breed but it will likely be RIR, Austrolorps, or Americaunas since they seem to be the most readily available in my area.
    Thanks for your help,
    Kevin

6. Netherworldtaken

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I was told to make it about 18 inches off the ground. As far as training, some have said that they sort of figure it out themselves, so i am going to keep my old water thing in place for a couple of days. by the way, I found it under a futon.

7. Netherworldtaken

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Update on watering system. My wife noticed a couple days ago that the chicks are using the new watering system without us having to show them it was there.

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    My cats aren't thieves, but one of them LOVES to take her paw and slide any cups or bowls off if tables, full or not . >[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: