Cat training/toilet training question

Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Washington State
Hey everyone.

I figured maybe someone here has real first hand experience (second hand is ok too, as long as you know the training) in training a cat to use the toilet instead of a litter box. I have already read up on this and understand how to do it. But what I want to know is how realisitic of an endeavor is this? Do you know of a situation where it didn't work out well, and if so what were the issues?

Thanks!
frow.gif

Years ago I had a Siamese mutt that figured this out on her own. Her father, also a Siamese mutt, chose his household's bathtub. I think there can be some genetic component to the behavior. The problem I ran into was when we got a Lab puppy. The pup tipped the cat into the toilet a couple of times. Not being dumb, the cat's solution to the problem was to use the bathroom sink.... Good luck! I am very curious how your training goes!

Thank you. I don't have a cat I am training right now...but I am considering this because the one issue with having an indoor cat is having to deal with the litter box, scooping as often as neccessary, ect. But my real issue is I find it gross that the cats walk in the litter box and then walk around your house with their dirty feet. Even if you scoop each time the cat goes potty, there's always some residual "stuff" left over.

I tried it - even bought one of those kitty litter box inserts to help them with training. My cats refused to use it when the insert was removed. The idea of their waste falling in the water seemed to freak them out and they'd try to sneak off somewhere else to go. Obviously that wasn't an option so we gave up.

Doing it right now. 2 cats so I am taking it slower than some because one is quite a bit older and set in her ways. Working very well. I bought the Litter Kwitter system off CraigsList. Best buy of the whole year!!!!

Last edited:
My cat's in process. I'm using the Citi Kitty. The first time I poked the hole in the middle the cat got nervous about it, but the kit has an extra insert that you can use with a smaller initial hole, so now we're about halfway through the process and it seems that once the initial hole spook is resolved, the hole getting bigger is less of an issue.

My other delay was summer. I started in June, and the weather was too nice. The cat just went outside. When the snow fell, I started over and the cat stayed inside more and was willing to use the indoor litter.

If the cat and I have to use the toilet at the same time, it's the same as with any other competitive event with any other member of the family. I go use the other bathroom!

It's a pretty messy process, litter wise, but when it's done, we'll be litter free and that will be worth the couple of months work we're doing now.

Be sure you're using flushable litter! Otherwise it will wreak havoc on your plumbing and septic.

But what if you only have ONE bathroom?

AND what if you're taking a shower and the kitty decides to use the potty then?

Just asking these questions for the masses!

My previous cat HATED the litter box. He taught himself...that or he had an amazing bladder and would wait till he could go outside. No, I saw him use the toilet, and yes, we only had 1. He didn't sit and read the newspaper, so it wasn't like I had to wait long if he was on it. Now if I could only teach the new ones! At least the kitten goes upstairs and uses that one when he has to create a minefield.

Back
Top Bottom