Cat wants a lot of attention

Emelyn

Crowing
Mar 14, 2021
-
Lately my cat has been wanting a LOT of attention. He always yells "mRoW" as loud as he can and whenever I leave the door open just a crack he rams into it so hard. I guess he's like this because I have been so focused on caring for my chickens,quails,ducks and ducklings. Does anybody know what I should do to make him stop? And please don't say try and play with him or cuddle with him because I'm always busy with something.

Aww he just wants to be with you but I get it, you can't be there 24/7. Is your cat elderly? Our cat increased in her meowing volume and clinginess as she got older. She lost hearing and couldn't tell how loud she was! She wanted to be with us because she couldn't walk without discomfort. Wanted to be carried around, she didn't like the cold slippery wood floor. She was 17 when this behavior started. Her joints were sore so we gave her cosequin. She called for us less when she was feeling better. Then she was going blind and she became anxious. We gave her CBD oil treats, and that helped for a while. She was more relaxed and happy. but a few years later she eventually went totally blind from age and would poop in the wrong places. She found a place to hide and passed away at 20 years old. Even though we had her for a long time, over half of her life, we think back on her and wish we could have had more time with her.

I know you said don't recommend playing or cuddling with him, but he really does want to be with you. I think the main thing is that your cat is lonely. It really would help to give him attention for at least 15 minutes a day of intense play, right before feeding, then go outside. his clinginess could have increased especially if your cat has recently lost a companion, is very young and is used to you or momma taking care of him when he was a kitten, or is very old and is experiencing dimentia or has an underlying health issue he is trying to tell you about. Check him over, see if he might seem sick, has an injury you can't see. consider if hes exhibiting other behavior issues like urinating where he shouldn't or not burying his poop.

Can you perhaps harness him and bring him with you when you go out with your birds? If not and he has to stay inside, try to put on some cat tv (there are great videos on youtube your kitty might enjoy), or see if giving your cat a wall mounted toy on an elastic string would occupy him. Try some nip for his entertainment, or treats with cbd oil for a calming effect. Offer some barley sprouts or even give him a cardboard box to play with. A change in environment, something new to explore. We wish we could be there all the time but have to be realistic, and it's our job to offer our furry friends things to do when we can't entertain them haha

Maybe you should find a new home for the cat if you dont have time for him. I doubt hes going to stop asking for attention. Your only real sloution, other than giving him away, is going to be giving him some love and cuddles.
I can't give him away for personal reasons...Can I maybe get an electronic fish or something to keep him entertained?

I can't give him away for personal reasons...Can I maybe get an electronic fish or something to keep him entertained?
Yes he obviously need to be entertained.
You could try a few things.

Does he have access to the outdoors? Most people would agree that its a necessity for a cat to have some time outside.

Aww he just wants to be with you but I get it, you can't be there 24/7. Is your cat elderly? Our cat increased in her meowing volume and clinginess as she got older. She lost hearing and couldn't tell how loud she was! She wanted to be with us because she couldn't walk without discomfort. Wanted to be carried around, she didn't like the cold slippery wood floor. She was 17 when this behavior started. Her joints were sore so we gave her cosequin. She called for us less when she was feeling better. Then she was going blind and she became anxious. We gave her CBD oil treats, and that helped for a while. She was more relaxed and happy. but a few years later she eventually went totally blind from age and would poop in the wrong places. She found a place to hide and passed away at 20 years old. Even though we had her for a long time, over half of her life, we think back on her and wish we could have had more time with her.

I know you said don't recommend playing or cuddling with him, but he really does want to be with you. I think the main thing is that your cat is lonely. It really would help to give him attention for at least 15 minutes a day of intense play, right before feeding, then go outside. his clinginess could have increased especially if your cat has recently lost a companion, is very young and is used to you or momma taking care of him when he was a kitten, or is very old and is experiencing dimentia or has an underlying health issue he is trying to tell you about. Check him over, see if he might seem sick, has an injury you can't see. consider if hes exhibiting other behavior issues like urinating where he shouldn't or not burying his poop.

Can you perhaps harness him and bring him with you when you go out with your birds? If not and he has to stay inside, try to put on some cat tv (there are great videos on youtube your kitty might enjoy), or see if giving your cat a wall mounted toy on an elastic string would occupy him. Try some nip for his entertainment, or treats with cbd oil for a calming effect. Offer some barley sprouts or even give him a cardboard box to play with. A change in environment, something new to explore. We wish we could be there all the time but have to be realistic, and it's our job to offer our furry friends things to do when we can't entertain them haha
I'm so sorry for your loss :( . My cat is currently 6 years old and is turning 7 this July. He doesn't seem like he's sick or anything. He always waits like the gentleman he is for some food and I always fill it up and patiently wait for him to finish for at least 2-3 minutes he enjoys when I do this and it means that your cat trusts and loves you unfortunately I've been more and more busy lately so I haven't had much time to give much attention. Maybe later this week when I'm free I'll go to PetsMart and get him some treats and fishing pole cat toy for him. Thank you for the great advice!

Does he have access to the outdoors? Most people would agree that its a necessity for a cat to have some time outside.
I'm gonna get him some treats and toys later this week. I usually try to let him outside in the summer and spring and he usually has a lot of fun playing in the grass. The only problem is that he eats the grass and throws up everywhere in my house after that.

Is he healthy? My cats would get clingy if they had something needing intervention.

Knowing his age and if he is indoor only can help.
He's an indoor cat but I usually let him roam around outside in the Spring and Summer but not that often because he eats the grass and then vomits. He's 6 years old right now and is turning 7 in July.

Most people agree that a cat needs time outside? Really? If my cat was allowed outside he would most likely end up flattened on the road or eaten by a coyote.

Back
Top Bottom