Cat with thyroid issues....

hannakat

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Beaver County, PA
Okay... research time! Just love it when life sends something new that you know nothing about. Education time!!

My 12-year-old cat, Hanna, likely has a thyroid condition, which from what I'm told, is common. The vet mentioned that there is now a food they prescribe instead of medication.

Since I have more than 1 cat and separating them to eat would be a PITA, I'm looking for opinions about which way to go....

Special food or medication.

hu.gif

My cat was just diagnosed with thyroid problems too. He now gets a little pink pill twice a day. He doesn't mind the pills because they are followed by a treat. He will take the meds for the rest of his life. Since he started taking the pills he looks better and acts like he feels better....
big_smile.png

Quote:
Did he lose weight before the dx? Hanna has lost weight and she's a small cat to start with. I'm hoping we'll be able to get her weight back up once treatment is started.

I had a 17 year old with hypothyroidism. He was losing a ton of wight until he went on the medication. We gave him an liquid medication once a day and he gained all the weight back. We too have a lot of cats and the medication was our best bet because we knew that he was getting it.

I too have a 17 year old cat with hyperthyroid.. She was diagnosed in 2007 when she was 13.

I started her on vet prescribed Methimazole, One pill a day and regular soft cat food as a treat after pill, she seems to look forward

to her morning pill because she knows breakfast of soft kitty food is right after
big_smile.png

She is doiing very well on the meds, and I still have all my fingers!
wink.png

she has gained all her weight back, and looks very

healthy for a 17 year old cat.

Thank you so much for the replies!!

She can be grouchy kitty but that's okay. As long as I keep her claws trimmed, I won't get too torn up! She's only 12 and should have a lot of years left........just need to take care of this.

The food is a new one just out on the market. I THINK it is by Hill's Science Diet.
If it were me, I'd do the pill.
I have a 14 yr old hyperthyroid kitty and that is what we do.

Stephanie in GA

My cat lost a lot of weight and was greasy looking. Now he is very clean looking. He has not gained the weight back but he was always overweight so the loss is good. His eyes are nice and shiney... Before the dx his immune system was bad also. The reason I took him to the vet was because he had gotten worms. Doc said he probably always had the worms but because of his thyroid problem they got really bad.... I am so glad to have him better now.

Back
Top Bottom