Cat bitten by raccoon - vaccinate or no?

KRack

Crowing
Jan 18, 2022
PA
Hi all! I took in a sweet kitty not long ago, and she got in to a scuffle with a raccoon. The raccoon didn’t appear rabid, and it ran when it saw me. I didn’t actually see the raccoon bite her, but I heard the scuffle and they were the only two there. I’m also not sure if the injury on her paw is a bite or a scratch, but I think it’s safe to assume bite.

She’s about 5 months (best guess) and hasn’t been vaccinated yet. I had an appt for her to be vaccinated, but that vet now says they won’t vaccinate her since she’s been bitten. His options for her are isolated quarantine for 6 months or euthanize.

I’m getting conflicting opinions from vets. Some say they’ll still vaccinate, others say they won’t. I haven’t had any luck getting her in any time soon either way. A lady I know runs a non-profit and takes in cats, she has antibiotics on hand she’s going to start her on (she works closely with the vets in town and they prescribed the correct one). So at least there’s that.

Is anyone educated in this area? She’s acting like herself as of now (I know there’s a long period where she could show no symptoms), eating and drinking and purring. I just want to know if there is a benefit to getting her vaccinated sooner than later now that she’s potentially been bitten?? Any advice very much appreciated!!!

Sweet girl. ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_6548.jpeg
    IMG_6548.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi all! I took in a sweet kitty not long ago, and she got in to a scuffle with a raccoon. The raccoon didn’t appear rabid, and it ran when it saw me. I didn’t actually see the raccoon bite her, but I heard the scuffle and they were the only two there. I’m also not sure if the injury on her paw is a bite or a scratch, but I think it’s safe to assume bite.

She’s about 5 months (best guess) and hasn’t been vaccinated yet. I had an appt for her to be vaccinated, but that vet now says they won’t vaccinate her since she’s been bitten. His options for her are isolated quarantine for 6 months or euthanize.

I’m getting conflicting opinions from vets. Some say they’ll still vaccinate, others say they won’t. I haven’t had any luck getting her in any time soon either way. A lady I know runs a non-profit and takes in cats, she has antibiotics on hand she’s going to start her on (she works closely with the vets in town and they prescribed the correct one). So at least there’s that.

Is anyone educated in this area? She’s acting like herself as of now (I know there’s a long period where she could show no symptoms), eating and drinking and purring. I just want to know if there is a benefit to getting her vaccinated sooner than later now that she’s potentially been bitten?? Any advice very much appreciated!!!
Get another vet. The shot will prevent the onset of rabies. There is no reason the cat can't be quarantined after getting the shot. If the racoon was rabid the shot should prevent rabies. Without the shot the cat is doomed. If you quarantine her, all your bases are covered even in the unlikely event the shot didn't work. There is nothing to be lost by giving the shot. I don't know what your vet is thinking, but personally if it was me, he would be my ex vet.

Get another vet. The shot will prevent the onset of rabies. There is no reason the cat can't be quarantined after getting the shot. If the racoon was rabid the shot should prevent rabies. Without the shot the cat is doomed. If you quarantine her, all your bases are covered even in the unlikely event the shot didn't work. There is nothing to be lost by giving the shot. I don't know what your vet is thinking, but personally if it was me, he would be my ex vet.
I agree with this 100%. Vaccination plus quarantine would be my choice.

This is likely a legal issue, not so much the vet being difficult. However, she would be less likely to get rabies if vaccinated right now, and then boostered a bit later. To be done, if it's not legal where you live, she could go to another clinic, without this story, and get vaccinated.
Too bad you didn't shoot this raccoon and have it tested!
And if you handled this kitten, cleaned her wound, and weren't wearing gloves yourself, you are also possibly exposed to rabies, and need to get to your MD and/ or Public Health., unless you are up to date on your rabies vaccination.
A great reason to not delay getting any pets vaccinated!!!
Mary

How long ago did the bite take place? There are mixed signals on whether vaccinating after rabies exposure is of benefit. Personally, if I valued the cat's life, I would get it vaccinated ASAP, as long as the bite happpened within the past 4 days. Then you will have to wait and watch closely for weeks, maybe even months, for any rabies symptoms. There shouldn't be a need to quarantine since there is no evidence the raccoon was rabid.
https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_groups/veterinarians/potential_exposure.html

Back
Top Bottom