Cat!!!

rypie13

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
We have five 12 week old chickens and two 4 week old chicks and about to receive 20 cornishx. this morning when my big girls were out to free range I saw a cat stalking them! My first thought was for the chicks that were in an open top run for the morning.(trying to get the two groups to assimilate) But they were fine. And that cat as we ran outside, took a last ditch run and swipe at the chickens before running off. Luckily the chickens saw it and ran away making alot of noise.
This is our first predator, would that cat really be able to take down our chickens? I want them to free range, but their safety is way more important! It was scary. We put the big girls (and boy )back in their covered run, and the little girls back in their covered home, but I would like to know a way to convince the cats to stay away! Any advice is appreciated!

About all I can tell ya is that when a few of my chickens got out the outdoor cats I feed all ran. My cats are more social than a typical feral cat tho. They sleep outside the run during the day ......... oblivious to the chickens.

We have 5 cats, two of which still try it on with hunting. When we first got our hens, the cats crept up on them and one pounced! There was a great commotion and flapping of feathers...the cat who'd pounced ran off at speed and has kept well away ever since!
smile.png
if it's a hungry, feral cat though that could be different.
hmm.png

One of my cats went into stalking mode once. Since he's our cat, we scolded him & he didn't do it again. He's also 10 years old.

I'd think that the chickens would go crazy if a cat pounced. The flock mentality is pretty strong - they'd go after the cat and teach it to leave the chickens alone.

This is a different story for chicks but it sounds like your older chickens are big enough to keep a cat away.

Thanks for all the response. It is our neighbors cat, this is the first time it has been seen over here since our big old loveable dog passed away. (they were friends)
hit.gif

We do keep them locked up at night and in the covered run most of the day, but like to let them at the bugs a couple of hours too. We really are going to have to rethink security for our cornish x coming next Friday. Will a cat dig? or are they only an ambush kind of animal?

Last edited:
Before I got chickens, I scoured this site for cat vs. chicken posts. I've found very few instances where a cat was the suspected killer/wounder of a chicken. I have some really large cats and they're quite afraid of the chickens. The 4 weeks olds might be in some danger, but the 12 week olds could put a hurtin' on a cat. Cats are built and programmed to take down prey that doesn't fight back effectively.

Yes, our chickens eat the bugs in the run, but it is a stand still type and so I am not sure how plentiful they are daily.
Thanks for the answer about the cats. I was really surprised that the cat tried at all. And that it stood there on the fence and gave us the stink eye for about five mins afterward.!:mad:
Oh, well we will just have to stay out there and watch them - like that is a bad job!!! Thanks again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom