catching free range birds

I agree with the other posts. The best way to a chickens heart is through it's stomach. I make a certain sound and they come running for their treat. Set up a feeder perferably under cover, make a sound every time you put feed in the feeder and when you give some treats. I have a net with a 6 ft handle too.

Last edited:
I use to raise game fowl always free ranged, I had two ways to catch them. (1) The easiest but most time consuming take a small pen prop up one Conner or side with a stick ,attach a long rope to the stick, long enough where the chickens cant see you , get behind a tree, barn, house, etc.. ,feed the chickens in the pen with it propped up, put a small amount in front of the pen to lure them.in, it will take days or weeks and cutting back their feed to get them in the pen, let them go in and eat a few days before you jerk the string and catch them in the pen,because the ones that get away wont go for it again. (2) Take a long stick I have a 2x2 piece of lumber 16 foot long on one end, I have a 1x1 about 11/2 to 2 foot long nailed to it, making a T, go out when its real dark out side take the stick, a flash light ,a ladder,a fish net ,and some help, find where there roosting, take the stick with the 1x1 side up the tree, to the limb there roosting on, get them to step on the stick, and slowly move them down to where you can reach them, if they jump off the stick thats when you need the fish net, cut off your flesh light let them squat on the ground and net them up . I raised games for allot of years and people wondered why I quit, If only they knew how much trouble it was, they would wonder why I didn't quit years ago

Last edited:
Make a hook shape the end of a piece of wire (like a clothes hanger) You could even attach it to the end of a piece of wood that you can grip well. Chase the chickens and hook one of the chicken's legs, tripping it.

Hi KyleD: When I need to put the girls into their run early, I just put some scratch in a plastic cup and shake it all the way to the run and throw it on the ground for them. They all come running and go right in.
clap.gif

I have one hen who is lose and I can't catch due to the same problems..... Now when she sees me she runs.... Smiles still trying to catch her though....
lol.png

Bread will get all mine in the coop instantly...or really anyking of food scraps.

I put it in the middle of the coop with the door open and start calling...they come running into the coop for the "good food" and I just shut the door.
smile.png

I have a game hen that just started living here about a year ago. She always roost way up in the tree. Could not reach her or get anywhere near her. Once she went into the coop when the others were out and I tried closing the gate but she went berserk, flying against the sides and stuff. The only time I was ever able to catch her was when she went broody. Took me couple weeks to find her, but I was able to just pick her up. Well she pecked me bunches, but I carried her around awhile. She roosts in my tack room now, I still can't catch her, unless she is brooding, but she will let me get nearer to her now, and she comes when I have the feed can. So she just gets to be where ever she wants. Don't know where she came from, and she prefers to be alone, doesn't hang out with the other chickens.
I like game hens. They can just take care of themselves.

Back
Top Bottom