Catching large quantities of GUINEA FOWL

cluck queen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2016
Texas
Hey guys, and gals I'm in a bit of a pinch. I'm picking up a flock of guineas, bantams and large hens from an older man that is unable to take care if them. His birds are all basically as wild as a March hare. The chickens I can deal with I have a pole catcher and wire hooks. But the guineas however are able to use flight and hop up out of the pole catchers. I don't have a net and can't get one in time. Has anyone got any ideas besides tackling them Haha.

I know nothing about Guineas but here goes
smile.png

Do they roost in a coop at night or are they roosting in trees?
If they are in a coop wait until dark to get them, poultry/fowl can't see in the dark, so they are very easy to get of the roost.

If they roost in trees, depending on how high they roost, you may be able to get them at night as well?

Just a thought.

I know nothing about Guineas but here goes
smile.png

Do they roost in a coop at night or are they roosting in trees?
If they are in a coop wait until dark to get them, poultry/fowl can't see in the dark, so they are very easy to get of the roost.

If they roost in trees, depending on how high they roost, you may be able to get them at night as well?

Just a thought.
I agree with this, the only way I can ever catch my guineas is at night. Although currently they are roosting high up in a maple tree at night :-\
Guineas are very smart when it comes to avoiding being caught. They make you mad and wish you had a shotgun lol
That said...I love my guineas <3

Could you get them into an enclosure of some sort? At least then you could go back in once its dark and cage them for removal.
Good Luck!

I agree with this, the only way I can ever catch my guineas is at night. Although currently they are roosting high up in a maple tree at night :-\
Guineas are very smart when it comes to avoiding being caught. They make you mad and wish you had a shotgun lol
That said...I love my guineas <3

Could you get them into an enclosure of some sort? At least then you could go back in once its dark and cage them for removal.
Good Luck!
Great idea!

Today is the day....I found a net it's not very long though. I'll definitely try to grab them at night if I can

Oh man guys it was a pain in the butt! I got over 30 chickens, guineas and random roos. I gave away the roos but kept all the hens. I'll upload a pic of them soon. They look pretty rough. lol be dusting D.E in their coop and putting some in their feed as well.

The first pic is of my sweet girl Lucy. All of my chickens are rescued from irresponsible owners. They all look rough but are in great hands now. Most of my flock is hiding inside our make shift coops. We're working on expanding them and moving them to pasture soon. :) this is the first time most of them have ever felt or eaten grass.

Back
Top Bottom