Catching peafowl

Try to socialize with them by giving treats etc.. then perhaps they will tolerate handling more. Also try to catch flighty ones at night, where there is less stress on them in the dark. I have 2 very tame males and 3 peahens. I can pick them up, carry them around, feed them and they will come up to me and stick their chin out for a scratch.I raised them from peachicks. These are great to have when the not so tame ones get loose etc. I can pull one of my tame ones out, they will follow me around and stay in the yard until the loose one comes down and follows them back to the pen. In those times they are priceless.

The key is darkness. I would strongly recommend doing this during the night, when peafowl have their largest weakness. I would also use a flash light and a large fishing net.

i'm not 100% sure how safe it is, but a friend was telling me how he helped his friend move some larger birds....
he said they soaked bread in vodka and then threw it out for the birds... they passed out and woke up in the new place....
i would be afraid of giving them oto much and them having alcohol piosoning...

when i had to catch one of the peahens at my old property we cornered her behind a shed under a tree... one person on one side of the shed, one person behind the shed... and i had a blanet to throw over her.... the large fishing net is a good idea though

Quote:
Wow thats the same thing that happens to me, drank to much vodka wake up in a new place....bet my peacock would be upset if he woke with a uglier peahen.......

Quote:
Wow thats the same thing that happens to me, drank to much vodka wake up in a new place....bet my peacock would be upset if he woke with a uglier peahen.......

rofl.. the question is, would the peacock be upset to wake up next to you?? lol.... one for you, one for me, one for you, darn, i shouldn't have used the vanilla vodka on pound cake.... one for you 3 for me....

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I think the ways of catching already mentioned are good and are first choice. When I do actually have to catch a peacock that is less than tame, I use a large net and if necessary (depending on how tame the particular bird is) grab the upper legs first and also hold the wings with the other hand (at the base of the wings) like I would do with other pheasants so the bird does not flutter around and become injured. Other option is hold the bird firmly while in net if just transferring short distance. Of course shooing or coaxing bird is best if just need to go into adjacent enclosed pen. If catching necessary, try to release the bird to new quarters as quick as possible to minimize stress.

My birds will run when they see the net.....so i hide mine behind my back.

Make sure to wear gloves.I forget mine alot ,scar to prove it. Grab the legs ,BOTH watch for the spurs and toe nails. they have very strong legs and will rip the net.

Back
Top Bottom