Cats And Chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    So, I put my chickens out in the run/coop about two weeks ago. We live on a busy street and never have seen but one cat around here and it was a year and a half ago. Tonight, my dog alerted me to something outside, so I went to check on the chickens (as we have lots of raccoons and you name it). I seen this big beautiful, healthy lookin' black and white cat looking at my chickens. I never had problems with cats ever before with my chickens. But I'm just wondering if anyone else ever has? I have a sneaky suspicion that my neighors brought the cat over here since I have the chickens. Just a gut feeling, as when they seen me putting up the fencing and then seen the chickens, they took a second look. They are all partiers, so we really don't associate if you know what I mean. They live just up the hill.

2. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    Hopefully they are just being nosy. My cats are bums, and only look at chickens as forms of entertainment

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My cats couldn't care less about my chickens...however, my neighbor who has unfixed females and males running around, well let's just say their cats are far too interested in my chickens. Beyond the point of just gazing at them through the fence. If you think that the cat is there to eat them, then most likely he is.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most cats are not a threat to a grown chicken, only chicks and sometimes broodies who are setting and in a trance most of the time.

I have a chicken killing cat. She now lives indoors full-time. As a former feral, she hates living indoors but she has gone after my LF chickens on more than one occasion.

She is the exception rather than the rule, but I take no chances.

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    There's many wild cats here, plus a very close neighbor's cat that is mostly outdoors only. I was concerned when the girls were chicks but not so much anymore since the they're bigger. The cats can't get into them, even the floor is wired. The neighbor's cat follows me around sometimes for company and snoozes by the chicken pen or occasionally stalks them, totally ignored by the chickens, before laying down by the pen to watch them. I've no doubt that any of the cats would take a small creature if given the chance. But the chickens are safe from the cats and the cats keep the skunks and such away...usually. Years ago my indoor/outdoor cats would kill skunks, snakes, rats, and wild rabbits but never wanted to mess with the grown chickens.

6. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    My cats like to eat the chicken feed. They also help control the rodents. I would NEVER trust them with an immature bird. If a bird is dead...the cats go nuts and devour it, but they won't attempt to take down a live one. They have all learned the painful lesson that a live chicken is NOT food and chickens will form a lynch mob against a cat when provoked.

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Domestic cats don't tend to really do anything to chickens, not that I've noticed. Mine could care less and love to watch them on the porch (just like I do) and sometimes she tries to scare one but she fails and runs and hides. I think since chickens/cats are about the same size it seems neither really want to fight the other.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:Isn't that the truth, lol.

9. greekbioguy

greekbioguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    my cats are afraid of birds larger than a pigeon. they keep a safe distance

10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've known a cat that eats chickens. Thankfully, a sharp thwack from a plank put it right....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by