Cats And Chickens

No, he's a Himalayan. Here's a closer look:

Either way, he's a beautiful cat.

He looks similar to a Ragdoll I had many years ago.

His eyes were actually blue, but the flash makes them appear yellow

RagdollBlue_edited-1.jpg

Aw, we used to have a BIG black and white ragdoll. Loved that stupid cat. We also had a Himalayan. You aren't kidding about that muscle underneath. That tiny cat once carried an almost full grown bunny up to the second story window and into my bedroom where she was playing with it and woke us up. She was amazing.

Yah, my cat's eyes are blue also:

26444_img_1365.jpg

My vet claims that all Himalayans are "slightly retarded" which is what makes them so mellow. In my cat's case it's way beyond slight, but it just makes him all the more wonderful.
love.gif

The term is 'Special'.
lol.png

Or mentally challenged. Mo is special needs - he especially needs to eat every time you are in the kitchen because of his limited memory. He forgets he just ate 20 minutes before...
roll.png

pretty kitties!

Last edited:
Both of my cats LOVE the chickens! In fact the only concern there is the cats getting tooo comfy in the coop and using it as their super dooper pooper box! My female cat (sasha) Thinks she is a hen so much so that if she finds a nest with eggs in it she will get in there and sit on those eggs! Sam the other cat just loves to watch them or roll around in their bedding and eat their feed. He had a favorite hen who lived in the house with us. Here is sam and priscilla (R.I.P prissy) sitting on the recliner together
10663_img_7225.jpg

Here they are on the floor together, sam would NOT leave her side, he was always looking after her.
love.gif
The day she passed away I had her body sitting in the garage for a bit, sammy went out there and laid next to her body for 2 hours
sad.png

10663_img_7227.jpg

Here is sasha, she found a few eggs sitting on the floor of the chicken enclosure...
10663_img_4562.jpg

Sam and smudge my special needs serama hen with massive tremors

10663_img_9585.jpg

10663_img_9586.jpg

Sam and lil bit the 8 oz hen
10663_img_9588.jpg

We also have a few stray cats around here and pretty much everyone around these parts have hunting dogs that often run loose in the nieghborhood. I have never lost one bird to anything other then a hawk. The stray cats also hang out with the birds while they are out free ranging

I haven't read all of the replies, but up until recently, we had 2 cats (1 went to live with grandma b/c I am very allergic and she won't stay out of my bedroom!) The cat that we gave to my mother-in-law was VERY interested in watching our chickens and did look like she was in hunting mode. However, I don't think she'd be dumb enough to actually try to take a full-grown chicken down. In fact, anytime they started wandering too close to her, she'd run away looking pretty terrified. Our other cat, however, is a big time hunter and pretty fearless. She's attacked our neighborhood possum and feral cats many times. She completely ignores the chickens, but brings us plenty of mice, voles, chipmunks, etc, as gifts. I do have a couple chicks in a homemade brooder right now, and I have it covered in aluminum foil to deter her. I have no reason to think she'd ever attack a full-grown chicken, but tasty little chicks, perfect size for a snack, are another story.

(Yes, cats hate aluminum foil! My midwife taught me the aluminum foil trick when our cats wouldn't stay out of the baby's things when we were preparing for the birth of my 4th daughter. A sheet of aluminum foil in the bassinet, on the couch, whatever, will keep the kitties off! No idea why they hate it, but they seem disgusted by how it feels on their paws. lol)

Back
Top Bottom