Cats and chickens...

i was watching my neighbor's chicken's free ranging when i saw a half grown kitten join them. tail up, it rubbed against the rooster. rooster & hens ignored kitty cat which continued to follow them around. too cute

This a such a great thread :) I love chickens and cats! We have some house cats and some barn cats and the chickens aren't at all concerned by the barn cats. Once in a while I will catch a chicken bonking a cat on the head at that cat dish and then I put the dish in the loft where the cats can only find it and shoo the chicken away - just plain rude!

We have never had a problem with cats bothering the chickens..but occasionally the chickens do bother the cats! We have one poor barn cat who isn't very smart and used to think he needed to stare at the chickens from outside their run (though they are usually free range, but go in at night)...one chicken would edge closer and closer then reach through the wire and bonk him on the head. I have seen it happen at least 10 times over the last few years. I call the chicken 'boss' chicken and Simon (the cat) still hasn't learned not to get too close to the run when I am putting the chickens away for the night.

Be warned cats may be cute at first, but my cat turned and decided to become an egg eating monster, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. She literally stalks the hens everywhere and come right up to thier fluffy butts expecting an egg to come out any moment, lol.

Back
Top Bottom