Cats and free ranging chickens

rocketdoctor

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
Id like to allow my chickens to free range in my yard more but I am worried about my neighbors cat that I occasionally catch in my yard sitting right outside the chicken run. I rarely let them free range after a few months I lost a young chicken that was pulled through the run wire that was a little too big spaced that i suspect could have been due to this cat. Occasionally when I am working in the yard I have let the chickens to free range, I have a large terraced yard and they are down the hill so I can't see them but I am can hear if there is any commotion. Should I still be concerned about the cat or since the chickens are bigger they will be able to avoid it?

Mine free range all day without much supervision. we have wild cats, plus i have two cats. i have yet to see a problem with cats with my hens. although, i would never let them free range unless they were larger than the cats. if they are young pullets, i would wait until they are full grown.

I have a cat that loves to hang out in the chicken yard. He even stalks them on occasion, but he has never hurt them and gives up stalking when he gets up close to them. I have even had a young pullet chase him off! My cat lays in the holes that the chickens have made for dust bathing and just watches them. He also does this to the wild turkeys in our area.
If your chickens are a bantam breed, I would watch closely but if they are larger, I'm sure the cat won't bother them.

I have feral cats around here and I've seen one swat a coon across the face! Real tough guys - but they are scared to death of my chickens.
roll.png
I wouldn't worry as long as your chickens are at least 5 months or older so that they are big enough.

Back
Top Bottom