CATS CATS CATS WHAT IS A PERSON TO DO?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have to agree with this line of thinking. Here, it is illegal to shoot a cat or even try to for any reason whatsoever. You cannot do anything that would harm them. It is in the city ordinances that they are allowed to run wild. My neighbor was trying to poison cats for just sunbathing on his property. He was almost arrested and got a very hefty fine plus him and his family now have the stigma of animal abusers in the neighborhood.

I would check before you start shooting.

Last edited:
You have a right to protect your property , just don't broadcast it. Close your mouth, open your eyes, do what has to be done.
wink.png

Quote:
Your first sentence is exactly what happens on our farm. We live back off the road- you have to drive thru a field just to get to our property. We live back off the beaten path for a reason and still cats and dogs show up. We have some rare and expensive birds and I'm not waiting to see if somebodies pet is just hanging around or hungry. The way I look at it it's up to you to keep your pet in check, if I have to do it, it's with a 5.56 mm or for the non military people a .223

Steve in NC

What I think is neat is, we all didn't get the same extra's so they will all be different. I layed mine out on the floor last night after everyone went to bed and I moved them and moved them. I have a pic but I need to leave and it takes forever to get the pic on photobucket so I will let it work and come back and show you how I think I'm going to do mine.

EDITED TO ADD. SORRY I PUT THIS IN THE WRONG PLACE. LMAO

Last edited:
Maybe MOST cats won't kill chickens where you are, but around here ALL are treated the same.
S! S! S!
I've lost over 30 to cats. I will NOT loose another if I can help it. Everyone around here knows if the cats on my side of the fence its fertilizer.

Quote:
I have to agree with this line of thinking. Here, it is illegal to shoot a cat or even try to for any reason whatsoever. You cannot do anything that would harm them. It is in the city ordinances that they are allowed to run wild. My neighbor was trying to poison cats for just sunbathing on his property. He was almost arrested and got a very hefty fine plus him and his family now have the stigma of animal abusers in the neighborhood.

I would check before you start shooting.

In the "real" world people have the right to protect their livestock. I couldn't imagine living in a place where cats are allowed to roam, breed, crap, and scatter garbage AND be protected by law.
idunno.gif

I wouldn't want to kill someone's beloved pet, and I don't think anyone else here would really want to do that either, despite all of the posturing/talk about shotguns. But that does not mean anyone should have to put up with a pack of feral cats harassing their chickens, or even pooping in their garden. The most civilized and humane response is to get a havahart trap from the local animal shelter and to have the animal control officers take the cats when caught. If they are pets, the owners will have to pay a fine and will know to keep them indoors, and if they are not pets it is more humane for the cats in the long run to be controlled so that they do not succumb to disease, starvation, or shotguns.
I would also point out that many farms keep outdoor cats for rodent control, especially in chicken yards and barns.

My neighbours cat has been caught in my trap more times than I can count. He gets the squirt gun treatment, & released.

All others are get tossed out in the field for the turkey vultures after a lead lunch.

In the 9 years I've lived here that adds up to over 40 cats. In fact I've shot more dogs & cats than natural predators on my property.
I guess that says a lot for the owners of these pets.

Gin, killing someone's beloved pet? I consider my chickens beloved pets. Cats or dogs killing chickens to me is the same as someone's dog coming in my yard and trying to kill mine. My pets rely on me to keep them safe. It's a responsibility that comes with having pets.

Since you live off the beaten path, you are a target when it comes to "rehoming unwanted pets". I'm sure some people have thought that their unwanted pet would have a nice home at your place.

It's not your fault that you are stuck dealing with other people's wandering pets. If they love them, they will keep them at home.

If you decide to trap them, I did that years ago. Some cats were marking my front door every night. It stunk. I rented a trap, and just caught a cat every night for 4 nights. I made 4 trips to the shelter. That's the decent thing to do, not dump them somewhere

you know what I do, cause wild cats run around my mountain and try to get at my chickens. Sooooo... buy an airsoft gun or paintball gun and shoot the cat. it wont kill it but leave a sting to teach it a lesson for messing with the birds >: P. if you think thats bad lol. its not as bad as people injecting antifreeze in hot dogs and throwing them in their yards so other peoples dogs that sh** in their yards can be punished. eh my uncle did that heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom