CATS CATS CATS WHAT IS A PERSON TO DO?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a whole bunch of outdoor cats. They don't bother the hens. They have been seen eating cat food together. Honest.

Chicks they will go for though........but probably not full grown chickens.

Quote:
I can't believe people do that.

And to add. I posted it was a FOX, so we think. DH saw it and has been trying to get it. Yes, I'm sorry, kill it.

mtnhomechick
And yes cats may get along with chickens if they have been together but these are not my cats.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are not my pets. Must not be anyone's.

We are getting a trap to catch them. I will not kill them. OK

If I can catch the black and white one I may take it to the vets get it checked out and keep it in my house as a pet. I have a large home. It should get along with my birds, fish, guinea pig and dog we have. The dog and guinea pig we got from the animal shelter because no one wanted them. I would help any animal that is someone’s pet, but lets get this straight, I will not sit and watch something kill my chickens. And I’m sure no one would. :thun

I thank you all for your opinions’ and idea's. I'll let you know how many we catch and take to the shelter.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I have to agree with this line of thinking. Here, it is illegal to shoot a cat or even try to for any reason whatsoever. You cannot do anything that would harm them. It is in the city ordinances that they are allowed to run wild. My neighbor was trying to poison cats for just sunbathing on his property. He was almost arrested and got a very hefty fine plus him and his family now have the stigma of animal abusers in the neighborhood.

I would check before you start shooting.

In the "real" world people have the right to protect their livestock. I couldn't imagine living in a place where cats are allowed to roam, breed, crap, and scatter garbage AND be protected by law.
idunno.gif

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "real" world but I do find it a very offensive comment to my rather nice suggestion about checking your town/county laws since they all differ greatly. What you might think is protecting your property/livestock might be breaking many laws where you live. It was a simple suggestion and my example was just trying to show that. Personally, all my cats are indoor cats because I don't want them roaming around town.

We live in a small town, not the country if that is what you mean by the "real" world. We live in town with laws and ordinances for the keeping and protecting of livestock as well as animal cruelty - any animal - and shooting a cat, dog, chicken or wild animal on your property is against the law. It also falls under the dispensing of a firearm law within the city limits. Livestock on farms is another story and falls under a different jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Quote:
In the "real" world people have the right to protect their livestock. I couldn't imagine living in a place where cats are allowed to roam, breed, crap, and scatter garbage AND be protected by law.
idunno.gif

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "real" world but I do find it a very offensive comment to my rather nice suggestion about checking your town/county laws since they all differ greatly. What you might think is protecting your property/livestock might be breaking many laws where you live. It was a simple suggestion and my example was just trying to show that. Personally, all my cats are indoor cats because I don't want them roaming around town.

We live in a small town, not the country if that is what you mean by the "real" world. We live in town with laws and ordinances for the keeping and protecting of livestock as well as animal cruelty - any animal - and shooting a cat, dog, chicken or wild animal on your property is against the law. It also falls under the dispensing of a firearm law within the city limits. Livestock on farms is another story and falls under a different jurisdiction.

In the "real" world people aren't offended by others opinions, people are allowed to determine if they want to trap or shoot the cat thats killing their chickens, the neighbor understands that if their cat kills my chicken it is a dead cat and then STILL replaces my dead chicken his/her cat killed, (and we're still friends cause we know whats right and wrong) I got the heck outa the left coast because MY freedom/rights were eroding faster than those who are here illegally could come across the border.
So, yes, in the "real" world we don't pass silly laws protecting stray/feral/loose cats or dogs. And we still have the freedom to determine how to protect our livestock as we see fit without worrying someone is going to be offended.

BTW in small towns, big towns, or in the country, common sense is common sense. ( At least it should be......)

If there are no laws stating cats must be kept indoors, and another law against animal cruelty, particularly against animals normally kept as pets then yes, it is wrong to shoot them even if they come into yur yard. That's true in the real world no matter where you live. Those types of laws just aren't as common in less populated areas. You may think you're the only one who lives in the real world, but you're not, we all do, and we all live under varying rules and regulations.

There are neighborhood cats all over the place here. I've got two or three that I see lurking in the underbrush all the time watching the chickens. They look terrified
smile.png
The chickens have scared off one by chasing it - and it's a big cat. I'm not going to shoot any of them, I think the thought of being pecked is enough to keep them at bay.

Cats that run wild here that are brought to animal control are killed. Plain and simple, they don't keep them as most are ill and not social and to take the time to socialize them takes away from the cats that are social. Check with animal control that is true in most shelters.

Me I don't have cats, I like outdoor cats but can't do the litter box due to alergies and have not found a litter that doesn't cause them to act up, and have given up trying as I like dogs better. That said I don't have a outdoor cat either as I don't believe in my animals wandering the street getting into trouble with the neighbors.

Not all neighbors believe my way, take the guy next door (please) who turned his dogs loose and they killed 18 of my 11 week old chickens, they went right threw the electric fence. He said not my dogs, I didn't catch them even though I seen them so couldn't prove anything. Then he said well it is just like my rabbits I turned loose they are all gone now. I was polite but said no there is a difference. My chickens were in a pen on my property minding their own business. Your rabbits and dogs are turned loose to terrorize the neighbors. That makes them fair game for anyone who is sick of the destruction your animals cause. I then informed him that his dogs stay at his house or I will make sure they find a new and improved home. I also told him the neighbors are not so nice that they are all ready to shoot on site.

The neighbor hood got together and went one at a time and told him the same thing. They also came one at a time to see me as they heard about my loss and offered to help me in anyway.

WHY is this always allowed to happen on here? At some point moderators usually step in and warn the offenders, but this has gone on for 5 pages.

The original poster thought she had cats killing her chickens. I have lost grown chickens to cats, and yes my pen does have a rooster. Any cat in this yard is a dead cat. Pet or not. If it's your pet, keep it in your yard. Any dog that hurts my chickens is a dead dog. I wont kill a dog in my yard that isnt harming anything, but I will if they harm my chickens. But I like dogs. I dont like cats.

The original poster was just stating her aggravation about feral cats, she wasn't asking for everyone's high-minded lessons in morals. If you want to lose your chickens, your song birds and small critters to cats, cool, that's your choice. And it's her choice to take control of her situation. Back off of her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom