Cats out of wack

Vet tech here - Yeah it's that time of year where Maine Coons and other thick-furred cats are molting out their winter coats. They need help with grooming year-round, but especially when molting or else they do get mats, which can cause problems for them ranging from discomfort to skin infections. I've seen it become so severe that the skin and underlying tissue necrosis and sloughs off and that obviously is not a good situation for the cat.

Anyway what I'm saying is I agree, you've got to find some way to get the cat used to grooming. Conditioning the cat to get used to brushing is always best, but some cats just never like it--those ones may need something to relax them so you can get the grooming accomplished (talk to your vet for options). Or see if a local vet does sedated grooms. And if that isn't workable either, you can always go to the old standby, which is what I do with my long-haired cat: get them shaved down! A lot of long-haired cats seem to enjoy being fur-free in the warmer months, plus I don't have to worry about fighting with her to keep her grooming. She does not make the cutest lion cut but man it saves us both so much hassle.

I wouldn't worry about it it's going to spring. Did she have them in winter? If so then she is losing her winter fur. Can we also see some pictures?

20210409_101003.jpg
20210409_101003.jpg

This is the neck and its larger

Back
Top Bottom