1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cats trying to eat baby chicks!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by namastemama, Sep 11, 2013.

1. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok this is new, we've always had a cat that never paid any attention to baby chicks. I just put our newly hatched babies in a dog crate in the kitchen and I slept on the couch just in case they needed anything.

I just woke up to find them frantically peeping and both of my daughters new kittens doing all in their power to get at the new babies!!!! I locked the kittens in the bathroom, but what the heck? I'm guessing ill have to put the babies in a room where the cats can't get them tomorrow, but this is a stress I wasn't anticipating! Suggestions welcome.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cats are doing their thing. They live to kill and sometimes eat any birds that size. They can't be in the same space.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, even cute little baby kittens want to take out small critters. You could zip tie some hardware clothe to the outside of the crate, just make sure its small enough to keep out little paws. Eventually the kittens will learn they can't get them and stop trying.
    My cats still like to watch small chicks, but they've learned they're off limits now.

4. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    your older cat is used to them. baby kittens are programmed from birth to try and hunt. since they are little and do not know any better only thing you can do is keep separated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by