cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aznewbe, Jan 25, 2007.

1. aznewbe

aznewbe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2007
    I have a 6 foot wood fence around my yard but the stray cats just climb right up it. Should I worry about them getting my birds?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Domestic cats are certainly capable of killing chickens, but that doesn't mean they will. I have both domestic and feral cats and they are all afraid of the chickens because the hens will chase them off if they get too close.

Whether or not you are going to have problems will depend on the individual cats you are dealing with. [​IMG] I know that's not a very satisfying answer so...

Another thing you can think about is that if a cat can get into your chicken yard so can any number of other predators. It's always a good idea to make your run as secure as possible because if a dog or weasel got in there you can loose your whole flock very quickly.

3. aznewbe

aznewbe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2007
    thks for the reply. I was planing on letting them out in the garden during the day, but cant watch them every minute. hopefully my lab puppy is not to "birdie" and will protect them instead of eat them.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hmmmm...I might worry more about the lab puppy. But the above posts were spot on - depends on the cat. I have never had a cat hurt a chicken - in fact, they have always shown them tremendous respect and even my ferals (who I eventually tamed, spayed/neutered etc.), actually bonded with them beautifully. I would find them laying down by the chickens purring and happy (feeling like they had a family?). I believe those cats would have protected the chickens if they had needed protection. One of the former ferals loved my feathered friends so much that when hen Betty would run up to him and catch his tail in her beak (to amuse herself I think!) he would just let her and stand still till she let go! Then he'd lay down by her and purr.
    With all the cats I've had or fostered, once they understood that the chickens were my "family" they showed respect. They would see me treat the chickens in the same loving way I treated them and that's all I had to do. Even worked with the squirrels. At first my cats went after them like I suppose any self respecting cat would. But once they saw that I liked the squirrels, even fed the squirrels, they stopped and now hang out together peacefully. It's been quite interesting!
    That said, I have read posts on BYC where people have had problems with cats so observation and caution are certainly wise. I know not every situation is this tame. You are smart to have asked the question.

5. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    I had a chicken taken by a cat, but most of the cats would not bother them, surprisingly the cat that killed one was considerably smaller than most round here, I think it might have been a bengal.

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Our barn cats (feral) have killed chicks, but never adult chickens. They are afraid of the adults.
    You puppy is a much bigger threat to your chickens than the cats. Although I'd not let really small banties out with cats around.

chel

8. YARDBIRD

YARDBIRD New Egg

Mar 1, 2007
    I once had a "teenager" kitty kill a young chicken. She still stalks and chases small ones, but no deaths since I made her sleep in the coop with the adults one night.

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If I can ever figure out how to upload a photo, I could show you a photo of my cat guarding the baby chicks. When he is on guard only My dog and I can go near the chicks. Neither my wife or grandkids can go in the room, which is the spare bedroom in cold weather. This all came about because a rat that he was after got in the cage with the baby chicks once. The rat ate everyone of the chicks before I got home aqd then couldn't get out. I let the cat in the cage with the rat, no more rat and no more chicks for three weeks. When the cat is not guarding the dog is. Look around any farm, they all have cats.

10. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

My cats don't bother the chickens, however they do like their eggs. Just be cautious of that happening. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by