Cats!

Emzyyy

Runs with Deer
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Derby Kansas
We waited FOREVER for these Kill Deer eggs to hatch in our driveway! This mother sat on them through HAIL storms! And today they FINALLY hatch. Adorable. Anyway we're watching tv and I hear the mom freaking out I run outside with the flashlight and there's a big ginger cat sitting right there I ran up and he doesn't even run at first til I start screaming and I run up and find 3 headless little bodies
sad.png
and one not even touched cowering on the ground and mom is flying around my head screaming. Just a bit ago I heard it again ran back out to find the SAME cat sitting there...my brother brought the gun out but I think he missed. I think we're gonna stay up all night to save this one little guy.
sad.png
I hope he makes his first night.
fl.gif
I also have morning cross country practice in the morning at 6:30-8 so lets see how this goes.
fl.gif
D*** Cats.

I love cats but I don't love them torturing and killing. It's no way to 'go'. That is very very sad. I wish somehow we'd all keep cats indoors during nesting season
sad.png

JJ

Oh Emzyyy, that is so sad. We have a vineyard and I pretty much love our killdeer there. We watch over at least 5 nests at a time. They lay their eggs right under the vines. (So glad because we go by with that huge tractor at least twice a week during their nesting.) We're moving out there this fall and I'm SO worried. I have a cat. She's the sweetest most lovable thing, but she is a hunter. I'm thinking we might have to make her an indoor cat but I have no idea how that's going to go over since she's been outdoor for 7 years. She's tiny, but she's brought me blue jays before. It's really awful. The killdeer..they only need one day and then they fly away safe. That cat must have been just waiting for those eggs to hatch.
hit.gif

I am saddened and perplexed at the large numbers of people on this forum whose first reaction is to get out their guns and kill. First of all, it is illegal to shoot a domestic animal for killing wildlife. Secondly, the cat is only doing what comes natural & the problem lies with the owner, not the cat. If the cat belongs to a neighbor, the civilized thing to do is to talk to its owner about keeping it home. I too hate the tendency of cats to kill birds, but I keep my cats indoors. It's unfortunate that Kildeer have such a tendency to put their nests in the wrong places. We had one build its nest in the middle of our driveway & just had to keep removing the nest. Killing the cat now will not change what has happened, but you might have some success at contacting the owner to fix the problem. I wish everyone would show some compassion for ALL animals.

Can you find the owner of the cat? In our state it is illegal for cats to kill songbirds BUT only a game warden can dispatch the cat. I'm betting that if you told the owners that their cat was causing problems on your property they would take care of the problem and keep the cat in.

Yes, it's unfair to you that you have watched so eagerly for the babies to hatch but what if that cat is a child's loved companion? It is absolutely possible that the owners have no idea that their cat is causing mischief! Please give them a chance to resolve the problem!

I'm not sure the cat has an owner. He likes to stay in the neighbor's garage eating their cat's food. People dump them out here. I like some cats...the indoor lazy fat ones yes. The ones that leave things alone are great. People need to spay and neuter their animals and maybe these things wouldn't happen.

Just a note Emzyy. Our cat is spayed. All the cats I have ever had have been spayed or neutered as the case may be. Unfortunately, that fact has never hindered their desire to hunt and bring us their "prize".

Back
Top Bottom