CATS??

kirkster5

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
I have 3 RIR's and 3 Ameracuana's(1 of which is a large Roo) They are all full grown. Will a Cat really be able to take one of these down? I free range them during the day and have watched them escape from each other by simply flying away(well 30 feet or so) or going to high spots.....Car/Boat/Fencepost etc........so much for thinking chickens are only ground creatures. They have flown over my 5' garden fence when startled. I only ask because we have a few neighbor's who do have outdoor cats and I have seen them come through our 10 acres. They seem to show zero interest in the chickens and even ran from my rooster when he chased them. Any thoughts??

Cats usually aren't much of a threat to a full grown chicken. As you have already seen, they are capable of defending themselves pretty well at that size, and cats usually aren't that stupid...

I have many stray cats that roam my neighborhood most are feral, they occasionally venture into my yard to drink from my pond. I haven't had one attack any of my chickens yet and I have bantams the smallest being OEGB mixes that weigh a pound and half. If an unknown cat wanders into my backyard Bertha my BR sounds the alarm and Lily my silkie(evil) will actually chase cats who she doesn't like including a couple of mine. By the way I have a 6 ft wooden privacy fence around my yard.

My cats are pretty much just afraid of the chickens. I have one who likes to keep them company in the coop, if I am in there. If I leave the cat follows me. Even this cat will run away if the chickens make an aggressive movement. The chickens seem pretty interested in going after the cat's tail
smile.png
He's learning to keep his tail in check.

Back
Top Bottom