Cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken_Lover4567, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Ok, so out here where we live there are millions of feral cats. We have cat proofed our coop. This one little kitten shows up everyday, and lives right behind the chicken coop. It's not even making any attempt to get to my chickens, just sitting and listening to them. It's not scaring the chicks at all, the love to watch hmi and peep at him. It's like they're friends. Should I be worried? Perhaps I'm just being a bit paranoid...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    That actually sounds kind of sweet. Have you thought about putting out food for the kitten? A well-fed kitty isn't likely to feel the need to hunt.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some have problems with ferals but with the few we have around here, they don't touch the birds, even the chicks. They are a mixed bag.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have about 20 cats and even though my hens are in an enclosed run/coop, the cats seem more amused by them. I would be way more worried about my neighbor's dog. I heard a Roo can fight a cat and win. Dogs are certainly a threat to chickens though.

5. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Yeah, it is pretty sweet. When they are put up at night, I can see him through my window laying beside the coop. I put out some water for him, and some food. This little kitten can't be very old, there is only one flaw I found about it. One eye is small/gone/blind. It's weird. I think it can only see out of one eye. My cat hates my chickens and was scratching at the chicken wire and hissing. I think the kitten my brother has given the name "Knight" is really sweet. I'm just a bit paranoid. [​IMG]

6. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Our cat likes to sit and watch the chickens. She never bothers them. They are buddies.

I'd put food out for the little kitty and maybe get a good mouser out of the deal! [​IMG]

7. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Maybe he's lonely and the chickens are good company to him. I'd keep feeding him and talking to him and, once I got him tamed down enough to get my hands on him safely, take him in for shots/worming/neutering. You could even put out a little house/box for him. If your coop and run will keep out coons etc. it'll certainly keep out a cat if one should ever be inclined to try. He'll keep down the mice and maybe keep other less civic-minded cats away too.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Just the smell of cat living near by could be a great added layer of security for your flock. I agree with those who said make him feel welcome.
    Sounds like the poor little one-eyed guy needs a home really badly...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  9. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Our cats don't bother the chickens. one does not care about them and the other stalks them and play pounces, but the chickens don't run from her so she quickly retreats and stalks them again.

A friend of mine has a rather small barn cat that will take down chickens though... This same cat likes to eat full grown wild rabbits to though.....

10. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    None of my cats or the local ferals have ever bothered my grown brids, not even the banties.

Most of them are afraid. of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by