Cattle?

Overthinker

Songster
Sep 26, 2021
Howdy,
Finally got our chickens going woo hoo! They are 4 weeks old and will be heading out soon.

We moved to 4 acres 2 years ago and it was really run down, like rental run down. The hay field was covered, I mean can't see thru it covered in elms. I cut a lot out and some how I have hand sprayed it enough that we might actually get hay next year :fl

I'm interested in having a few head of cattle to feed our family beef but am pretty clueless.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get started?

I have 1 acre fenced and 2.5 that's not. I assume I'll put two or so cattle in the 1 acre most the year and let them into the bigger pasture in the fall after our last cut.

What I don't know is do I buy two bred heffers and what time of year? There is a ton I don't know.

So call local extension office? Didn't find any active forums, know any? If I'm allowed to ask

I suppose i should fence the big pasture but Id like to get a game plan soon to fill my freezer.

Any help appreciated, thank you!

Howdy,
Finally got our chickens going woo hoo! They are 4 weeks old and will be heading out soon.

We moved to 4 acres 2 years ago and it was really run down, like rental run down. The hay field was covered, I mean can't see thru it covered in elms. I cut a lot out and some how I have hand sprayed it enough that we might actually get hay next year :fl

I'm interested in having a few head of cattle to feed our family beef but am pretty clueless.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get started?

I have 1 acre fenced and 2.5 that's not. I assume I'll put two or so cattle in the 1 acre most the year and let them into the bigger pasture in the fall after our last cut.

What I don't know is do I buy two bred heffers and what time of year? There is a ton I don't know.

So call local extension office? Didn't find any active forums, know any? If I'm allowed to ask

I suppose i should fence the big pasture but Id like to get a game plan soon to fill my freezer.

Any help appreciated, thank you!
I don't have any specific advice except to go slow. It's tempting to want to jump feet first but these are potentially dangerous animals. Do you have fencing strong enough to contain them? A trailer to haul for vet care? Do you know how to help deliver a calf if she gets into trouble. I don't say any of this to put a damper on your plans, or to be a know it all so I hope you don't take it that way. You could probably talk to your county extension office, mine was helpful when I reached out about my pasture last year and asked about soil testing.

Most people buy steer calves privately or at the sale barn. You raise them up and butcher them. Butcher dates are over a year for appointments right now.
Corn is sky high, so those are things you need to keep in mind if you are having a feedlot. If you plan on grazing you need 2 acres for each cow.

If you can get a butcher date, you could go to the sale barn buy a dairy cow or steer and butcher it. (more cost effective) Dairy cow meat is very lean 90-95%.
Then you don't have to worry about feed, or space or sudden death.

I don't have any specific advice except to go slow. It's tempting to want to jump feet first but these are potentially dangerous animals. Do you have fencing strong enough to contain them? A trailer to haul for vet care? Do you know how to help deliver a calf if she gets into trouble. I don't say any of this to put a damper on your plans, or to be a know it all so I hope you don't take it that way. You could probably talk to your county extension office, mine was helpful when I reached out about my pasture last year and asked about soil testing.
Fencing is okay, not great, so I'd probably put up an electric wire?
Guess I'll start looking for a trailer, bet it's hard to get a sick one in it, called a vet and they would come out for like an extra $70. I suppose we'd chain up the calf and pull with tractor but never done it. I'll have to give the extension office a call.

You might get more help on this site.
https://www.backyardherds.com/
I'll check it out thanks

Most people buy steer calves privately or at the sale barn. You raise them up and butcher them. Butcher dates are over a year for appointments right now.
Corn is sky high, so those are things you need to keep in mind if you are having a feedlot. If you plan on grazing you need 2 acres for each cow.
I'll give a butcher a call and ask some questions. Figured I'd feed it hay, plenty around here for sale and i hoped i could raise some hay.

If you can get a butcher date, you could go to the sale barn buy a dairy cow or steer and butcher it. (more cost effective) Dairy cow meat is very lean 90-95%.
Then you don't have to worry about feed, or space or sudden death.
I could just do that, kinda wanted to raise some beef though like my grand parents did.

I used to buy a steer calf and raise it up. I had limited pasture so they got fed hay and grain. I fed a lot of grain to my steers. It wasn't cheap but I liked the end result. To me it was worth every penny.

So hypotheticaly I'd get a few steer calves and raise for meat. They wouldn't need milk or a mamma right? Would I get in spring and harvest in fall? Or would they need to age longer?

Back
Top Bottom