caught a possum in my trap can I...,..

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
release him elsewhere? I do drown the coons as I only set my trap when I know I have a chicken killer in my area, and the other night I had one dismantal my quail cages. The cages are right by my bedroom and I saw the coon so I know it is him and not the possum, although the possum would if he could. Anyway the coon could not get to them but pulled out the poop trays and made a general mess of things. I knew he would just keep at it everynight and I cant tolerate it. So I set my trap.

I have seen the possum before and I know they also kill chooks but my defences are possum proof and I really dont want to drown this poor guy.

If I release him will he come back like coons do? Do I have to go 50 miles away? will he be trap savvy? or can I just bring him to some nice woods and let him go with out worrying about neighbors or doing the "wrong" thing for others.

I use my trials for trespassing (they end with a capital punishment of death) when needed but it always gives me a heavy heart I would like to spare this guy if it is reasonable to do so.

If you release him elsewhere you are only dumping your problem on someone else. Most areas it's illegal to release them.

To me drowning is pretty cruel. A 22 to the head is much quicker and less stressful for the animal.

Last edited:
Relocating animals isn't a good option. It can possibly spread diseases and makes your "problem" someone elses potential problem.

If it isn't hurting anything you may mark it with some paint and hose it down or something to teach it that coming to your yard leads to an unpleasant experience. Either that or dispatch it.

I agree with the others. If you don't want him in your neck of the woods, nobody else does either. They are a vector for disease and a general nuisance. I say dispatch him, but do it quickly and humanely. A .22 ought to do nicely.

I am not 100% sure on opossum but with many small mammal types if you relocate them you you are endangering them as many of them have extensive territories and violently defend these areas. If the idea is not wanting to harm the critter whose only crime is having the misfortune of being born too close to your house, check with your local department of conservation. We happen to be a bit on the tree hugger side so not killing anything would be the first choice. That being said our girls in the back yard win vs. a wild critter every time. So far our only trials with the wild have been a mouse colony and that is being wiped out for health reasons, both birds and people.

well a 22 really is not an option. My friend was supposed to lend me his but left it at his cabin and all I have are bigger weapons.

I drown thats all there is to it, easiest for me and them I think with shooting not being an option.

really I just think he is lurking not really causing damage.

I forgot to mention there is not a farm for 30 miles from me I am outside NYC so other than overturning garbage cans I dont know what damage he would cause to others.

I agree he is a pest but he is not the prey I was after. I dont want him in my property but really dont want to take its life although I will if it is the best solution for all.

I am so unsure why people think drowning is better than shooting. I mean have you ever thought about what that animal goes through before it finally dies! I almost drowned as a child and that is not the way I would want to go I would much rather be killed quickly. I am a hunter and believe a 100% in humanely killing if an animal has to be killed! Drowning is cruel and inhumane no matter how you look at it. Guns and ammo don't cost that much and peace of mind that I didn't torture that animal is priceless!

Back
Top Bottom