caught a possum in my trap can I...,..

Quote:
well it really was not little, def an adult, but I always thought they were cute. Once when I was 13 someone came to me and said there was a hurt possum. (I was at boarding school at the time) anyway being the go-to girl for any wounded animal I went to see. I forgot (being a city girl) that they play dead sometimes when scared and I picked it up and carried it around like a baby all day. I put it in a box later with food and water. it was very sluggish and seemed sweet.

Well the next day when I woke up and went to check on it it snarled at me and was clearly not sick and very mad. I let it go and realized how lucky I was that it never bit or hurt me.

I know it is illegal to relocate any wild animal here. I had coon problem a couple of years ago and I talked to US fish and wildlife as well as the department of fish and game. My options where to trap it and then dispose of it in a manner that was legal. Can't shoot it cause we live in town. can't relocate it anywhere, in fact there was a question about it being legal to even release it from the trap but the warden didn't think that woudl be illegal. I could not legally allow anyone else to take it or transport it except Fish and wildlife and they told me they woudl not take it anyway. as it turned out my only legal option would have been to drown it. I wasn't willing to do that. The attitude they had is,. You set a trap to catch predators and that thar is a predator. Kill it.

If your pens are possum proof, just let it go where you found it. In your yard. I have dozens of "predators" using my property and because my pen is solid, I worry not. You don't have to relocate, why would you? He's not a threat and taking him somewhere else doesn't mean you won't have more anyway.

I know the OP didn't ask, but I wonder if you could hot wire your pen and prevent the coons trying your chickens? Hot wire repels everything besides coons as well, it makes a lasting impression, and it's harmless.

There's also a thing made by scatmat, at www.scatmat.com, that you hook up to a water hose. It has a motion detector attached to it, and when something -- say a coon or a cat or a possum -- walks within 30 feet of it, it sprays a fan of water for about four seconds, with the hissing noise that goes with water spray. Animals are really superstitious, and they avoid stuff like that. I've used it to keep deer out of my hostas.
smile.png

Not every one can discharge a firearm where they live. Drowning is simply a horrible way to go. Trust me,it takes about 5 minutes for a possum to drown (I'll never do that again). I realize the deed is done,but for future reference. Put it in a pet taxi with a tarp over it. Set it behind your exhaust & start your car. Come back 5 minutes later & it will be eternally sleeping.

opossums are nomads. they move to wherever the food is, but don't have specific a territory. they subsist on dead animals, grubs, bugs, frogs, fruit, snakes, mice, and rats. just some tidbits of info...

If you do decide to shoot it, may I suggest a few minutes of research before you do it? Hop on the web and look up the ideal spot on the head...it's worse to miss because then they tend to flop around and move too much to be accurate. Also be prepared for him to play "possum"...the smell is horrible lol

Quote:
good to know thanks.

Peepsinc I will do the car thing next time and see how it goes. I am all for as painless as possible.

Put it in a pet taxi with a tarp over it. Set it behind your exhaust & start your car. Come back 5 minutes later & it will be eternally sleeping.

I don't have a pet taxi big enough to hold the trap and the predator. Will a tarp over the trap work?​

There is really a simpler way to permanently put them or any other animal to sleep. Dry ice and warm water in a milk jug that has one side cut open. Put the jug with warm water and the animal under a tarp or into a plastic container. Add the dry ice, about half a pound to the warm water and allow the mist to build up and surround the animal. Takes about 3 minutes and in the case of a large raccoon, probably 5 minutes. Make sure the animal is indeed dispatched before removing as if you do not wait long enough the animal can wake back up. This method has been used to process feeder rats and rabbits for years.

Back
Top Bottom