Caught an Possum. Killed a chook and eating eggs/chicken food. What to do?

Barbedwirecat

Songster
12 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Limestone
I lost a chook last night, almost 4 months old. Was not sure what got it, and I swear my hen house is secure. I guess not as much as I thought.

I had previously run off one possum IN my hen house and then repaired what I thought were the entry areas about a month ago.

This morning I found a chicken minus it's body IN the hen house (It's a walk in 20ft x 8ft with attached fully covered run) I don't leave my chickens un penned because I have had at least 3 times coyotes have picked off my flock.

Tonight I go to check on them, and I found a beady eyed visitor munching out of the top of the feeder bucket IN the hen house (surrounded by sleeping chickens I might add).

After much struggle I got him into a small dog kennel cab. I put a tarp over him since it's raining.

What do I do. I've read a bunch of info. I have no gun. I don't feel like relocating is a good idea. He's obviously a problem. Any advice?

Kill it yourself? Get a .22

I myself don't mind possums they don't bother my chickens so there cool. I only hate hawks, foxes, racoons..

Last edited:
i'm not sure of your location, but where i live there is a link off the local Animal Control site to the Federal Trapper. For $25 they will come and trap and kill nuisance wild animals. If you're already trapped something, they will come and euthanize it for that $25 fee. If you don't have that service available, there may be companies in the area that will take care of the animal for a fee. Or, you can get a pellet gun and kill it yourself. i am not comfortable with guns, but okay with bb and pellet guns. If you get one with either a pump-up action or a CO2 cartridge, you should be able to take out a small animal, like a possum, raccoon, or the like. i hate killing anything, but when you have an animal that keeps coming back, you really have to deal with it.

That's pretty cruel. There are other quicker ways.
sad.png

Yeah, I wouldn't drown it, I would either release it a few miles away or kill it via gun or something fast.

Lethal injections will kill them very quickly

Shoot about 30-40 ML of rubbing alcohol directly into the chest cavity and they will be dead in under a minute

If you relocate (which is illegal in most states) it will probably beat you back home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom