Caught on Video - A Hawk In The Coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by daddykirbs, Nov 18, 2013.

1. daddykirbs

daddykirbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    I'm excited about this and a little scared! LOL I love every opportunity for the kids to see nature up close. As a home schooling family I believe this is part of a super valuable education. However... this hawk was IN MY COOP! I don't want to lose anymore chickens to the hawks. We've been pretty lucky to not lose too many, but every one of them is special to us (especially the Silkies!).

[​IMG]

Here is another interesting moment. Just days later I found this Great Horned Owl that had been killed by another (much larger) hawk. I believe the Owl and the Hawk were fighting over the territory of my farm.

[​IMG]

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a great post, congratulations, awesome

3. daddykirbs

daddykirbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Thank you! I've spent some time away from BYC and was kinda missing the community ;) I appreciate the kind words.

4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome back, hope to see and hear more from you

5. 007medic

007medic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    VIDEO ONE:
    First, Not a Falcon. It is either a Cooper's hawk (a young male) or a Sharp Shinned Hawk. I found myself struggling to view certain things on the video (such as how far the streaking extended down on the breast, how thick did the legs appear). His tail appeared rounded on its end (can be an indication) and his head larger for its body so I vote juvenile, male Cooper's Hawk.

VIDEO TWO:
    I will NEVER believe any hawk killed a Great Horned Owl. I have followed birds of prey all my life (since I can remember). The hawk might have been responding to something else as they will do. Great Horned Owls are documented running Bald Eagles off their nests. They take down opossums & skunks -- no way that wound is from a hawk -- a lucky hit to the head -- I guess that would be possible, anything is possible (as my law professor used to say) except this interpretation. -- sorry, I don't buy it.

I will note a story on this forum once pitted a battle of a Great Pyrenees against a GHO -- after quite a battle, the > 100# dog won but his face was cut up real bad (and the OP heard her dog yelp and growl during the encounter). Pictures were posted of the dog's injuries.

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    DITTO on both.

Cooper's or Sharp-Shinned (difficult to discern immature Cooper's male from Sharp-Shinned-- based on large head, I say Cooper's).

GHO would be a danger to any hawk -- nothing more formidable that flies than a GHO (except a Golden Eagle & it would have grabbed it and kept going).

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Fascinating...wonder if you'll ever figure out what killed the owl?

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Wow great videos very interesting. Glad you got that hawk before he took your silkie baby. Your silkie is too cute♡♡

9. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    These are really fascinating videos. I've seen Coopers Hawks spying on my flock and I've had a horned owl breeze by me late at night, but I've never had the chance to look at either type of bird up close. Thank you for posting these clips.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I was thinking it looked like an adult male Merlin falcon, especially with that small wing span.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by