Yelo

Hatching
Jul 3, 2022
Hi,

I recently purchased a young runner duck and have noticed cauliflower/wart-like lesions on the bottom of both of her feet. It does not look like typical bumble foot.

Has anyone else experienced this?
What is it?
And how do I treat it?
Could it be Papilloma virus?

She had been bedded inside on straw with access to drinking water but unsure whether she was able to wash her feet. The breeder seems to think it's caused by the lockdown and her not being able to wash her feet regularly and it should go away of its own accord...
Since she has been with me, she now has access to water to wash in and is on lush grass. She is moving about and seems happy within herself.

I look forward to hearing your advice, tia.
I will try and upload a photo.

20220703_112010.jpg

Hi,

I recently purchased a young runner duck and have noticed cauliflower/wart-like lesions on the bottom of both of her feet. It does not look like typical bumble foot.

Has anyone else experienced this?
What is it?
And how do I treat it?
Could it be Papilloma virus?

She had been bedded inside on straw with access to drinking water but unsure whether she was able to wash her feet. The breeder seems to think it's caused by the lockdown and her not being able to wash her feet regularly and it should go away of its own accord...
Since she has been with me, she now has access to water to wash in and is on lush grass. She is moving about and seems happy within herself.

I look forward to hearing your advice, tia.
I will try and upload a photo.

That’s over growth of skin there is a name for it but can’t think of it. Start soaking in Warm Epsom salt water and hopefully the skin will start softening up. I had a Muscovy drake with some on his feet and I did get them softened up with soaking. Just treat it I like it’s bumble. Also you can use a tooth brush and spread something like Betadine over these places to see if that will help. Are they causing her to limp like they are painful?

That’s over growth of skin there is a name for it but can’t think of it. Start soaking in Warm Epsom salt water and hopefully the skin will start softening up. I had a Muscovy drake with some on his feet and I did get them softened up with soaking. Just treat it I like it’s bumble. Also you can use a tooth brush and spread something like Betadine over these places to see if that will help. Are they causing her to limp like they are painful?
Keratinisation? Okay, thank you for your advice I will give this a try! No she doesn't seem to be in any pain as she is running around quite happily. It just looks unpleasant, did your drake make a full recovery?

UPDATE: As there seems to be very little information about this issue, I thought I would take the time to provide an update just in case it helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.
This is Marmite's foot after a week of daily epsom salt baths and antibacterial powder application. As you can see from both photos, the califlower/wart-like lesions look less severe and her feet are beginning to heal. :wee

Attachments

• 20220713_212505.jpg
    20220713_212505.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 36
Wow what a difference. You've done great getting her feet going in the right direction. Keep up the good work.
What is the antibacterial powder?

Back
Top Bottom